what clamps to put on my 08

27 replies to this topic
  • cablemonkey334

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:53 PM

I would like some input on what some of you guys are running for tipple clamps? I lookin to try to make turn better . what are some of the different offsets ?

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2008 - 09:31 PM

How tall are you?

• MXJETJOCKEY

Posted October 27, 2008 - 07:03 AM

I would like some input on what some of you guys are running for tipple clamps? I lookin to try to make turn better . what are some of the different offsets ?

Changing the offset will not make the bike handle any better. It will simply change the WAY the bike handles. If a offset change was the answer to Yamaha's handling woes...don't you think it would of been fixed at the factory?
Leave the offset stock if you race MX.

• Justin89

Posted October 27, 2008 - 09:37 AM

22mm RG3 or 22.5 Pro Circuits...improved my cornering A TON:ride:

• Beaz

Posted October 27, 2008 - 12:52 PM

I was woundering the same thing

• cablemonkey334

Posted October 27, 2008 - 05:33 PM

5-11 205 lbs. Im a vet B rider . The bike is sprung for my weight an the sag is set at 102

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Start by taking your sag up to 95-97, and pull the forks up 5mm in the clamps.

I don't know what bars you are running, but here's what I recommend: change to Windhams. They sit you up and forward more, and yes, you will likely need a couple of rides to adjust, but it won't take long to adapt to the way the bike turns with them.

Read this:

http://www.thumperta...011#post6529011

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 27, 2008 - 06:17 PM

i threw a set of procircuits 22.5mm offsets and it made a drastic improvement. i loved the handling before hand and only bought these to try them out(since i got a great deal) but after riding for a few months their staying on..

• Rokatt88

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Applied 24mm clamps. These were developed with Doug Dubach. I think he knows a thing or two about Yamahas. 1/2 lb lighter than stock & the only company that gives you a 100% warranty that includes crash damage. I have them on my 08 YZ450 & they work!

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 28, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Yeah i got the 24mm applieds they are nice for sure.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2008 - 09:11 AM

Before you spend $400+ on clamps, try moving the bars up and forward.

Seriously.

• MX926

Posted October 28, 2008 - 10:24 AM

The 08 handles, and turns great with stock clamps, in my opinion.

• MXJETJOCKEY

Posted October 28, 2008 - 12:10 PM

Soooo...what you guys are saying, 22mm through 24mm ALL improve the handling!?! HAHAHA You guys are funny. I bet honestly most of you have no idea what a good handling bike feels like. Just because the new shinny clamps CHANGED the handling of the bike. Doesn't mean it now handles BETTER.
Seriously this forum is always a place to get a good laugh :lol:

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 28, 2008 - 12:41 PM

im not saying it fixed or made my bike the best handling bike out their. im saying that for my riding style the 22.5 mm pro-circuit clamps im using fit me best.
the clamps allowed me to cut a tighter line and to get the rear end around faster. but thats me.. the stock offset clamps worked great for me, but these just helped it the lil areas that i was failing at.

• Justin89

Posted October 28, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Soooo...what you guys are saying, 22mm through 24mm ALL improve the handling!?! HAHAHA You guys are funny. I bet honestly most of you have no idea what a good handling bike feels like. Just because the new shinny clamps CHANGED the handling of the bike. Doesn't mean it now handles BETTER.
Seriously this forum is always a place to get a good laugh :lol:

Im coming off of a 2006 and I tried the stock offset and didnt find any luck. Im with slinkyman on this one:prof:

• MXJETJOCKEY

Posted October 28, 2008 - 02:05 PM

okay...I guess it just depends on what a rider likes. In the end thats all that matters:)

• cablemonkey334

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:22 PM

hey gray , I have the bar clamps turned forward an have Windham bars also an the forks are slid up in the tubes to the ring that goes around the top it looks like its about 5 mm from the top. The bike just dose nt settle into tight turns or let me change line with with confidence.

• PDBRacer

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:28 PM

lil tip on triple clamps and fork setting.

If your looking for that tight and front end bit in turns you can move the forks up higher in the triple clamp.

Usually the rule of thumb is move them as high up as u can until u get head shake then lower them a little.

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 29, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, I like the look of the shiny new clamps and 1mm offset change is not much but it does bite a little better, still pushes more than my 09 honda. I would be interested to see how 22mm clamps acted, even 17mm clamps, I hear chad reed loves the 17mm offset.

• Beaz

Posted October 29, 2008 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, I like the look of the shiny new clamps and 1mm offset change is not much but it does bite a little better, still pushes more than my 09 honda. I would be interested to see how 22mm clamps acted, even 17mm clamps, I hear chad reed loves the 17mm offset.

I have a 08 yz and after riding my friends 09 cr 450 i cant wait to sell this one and get a honda it handles that much better imo

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.