Street Set Up - Advice Request

I have read through all the postings on making the WR450 street legal. It seems like most people make them SuperMotos. I am interested in riding my bike on the street - mostly backroads paved and unpaved - if I run accross a dirt trail I want to take advantage of the opportunity as well.

I am thinking about just picking up a used set of rims (same as stock) and swapping my wheels when I decide to do this type of riding. And adding the Baja design kit. What tires do you suggest that can endure pavement but also provide some grip in the dirt? Does this make sense or do I need to look at more changes for the bike to run well? I am just looking for cheap and easy to change from all dirt to road/dirt.

Thanks!!

I have on my dirt rims a set of dunlop 606's they are dot legal and don't do too bad on pavement either . they are one of the best dual sport tires out there..Although I mostly just hit the dirt with my supermoto setup on. I still have this old setup to fall back on if I want to do a whole day of dirt running . here's a pic of them

DSC00793.jpg

I have 2 sets of stock wheels and takes 10 minutes to swap them over. Saves wearing the dirt tyres. I just bought a set of trailwings and does the job for the street. I think motard wheels are great if you race and need the grip for conering fast, but on the street the trailwings do the job, I still have fun!

I had a set of avon distinza's on my other set of stock rims that I sold , after getting a sm set. the Avons were quite fast on the street , in fact they were fast enough thru the corners that the stock brakes were not good enough . by the way beware of the stock front brake on the street it is barely enough.

It's barely enough in the dirt too?

We are all very lucky that that the soccer mom with the mini-van hardly ever pulls right of in front of you ,so close that you have to do a stoppie just keep from caving in the side of the mini-van ,in the middle of the woods. But it has happen alot on the street. What's really icing on the cake is she always is pissed off at you for scareing the heck out of her by sliding your tires just trying not to hit her . Although I do hold the rear brake down tight so it just bounces on the concete making the ugliest chatter a bike can make while doing my controlled stoppie , it's like my horn.