no spark

6 replies to this topic
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:14 PM

MY WR400 has been runninig great. Rode it Last Sunday, no issues. Went to start it WED, got it running for a few seconds... then it just quit... no stumble, still had the choke on, turned it off... gooses the throttle QUIT

WOULD NOT restart!!!

tried for about 20 minute to restart... NOTHING. tried again Thursday.. nothing. Tried today... NOTHING

Fuel.. check

removed the spark plug and grounded to frame NO SPARK.... I mean ZERO...NADA.

replaced plug... still NOTHING

checked fuses and connections... all look good.

WHY would I SUDDENLY lose my spark without warning?

Thanks in advance!!

• aussieklx

Posted October 26, 2008 - 01:26 AM

i had a similar problem about a week ago. running like charm and then FA

First can you remember playing/tinkering with anything around electrical. Check that your kill switch isn't earthing, best to just disconnect to rule that one out. Next cheak all connections, check them agian and then a week later recheck them. My problem was a coupling had come lose from the CDI but was not completly off so didn't look lose. Failing that look at nuetral safety switch and then finally test coil as per manual. But because it was fine and then has just died id say theres a fair chance that its a lose plug somewhere

good luck mate!!

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:13 AM

That's what I was thinking, just didn;t know if there was a "scientific" way to figure it out rather tahn trace ALL teh wiring:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted October 26, 2008 - 07:00 AM

NO resistance through the "primary coil" is bad... right?

• aussieklx

Posted October 26, 2008 - 04:17 PM

could be, make sure you are testing in the correct method thou and are using the right tool cos i tried to test with a shitty electricians multimeter and got nothing so yer, test it on another bike if you can,

• c9buff

Posted October 26, 2008 - 04:56 PM

I just had to replace a coil on my 05 WR.

The bike would run fine about 5 times around the yard then die. Once cooled it would start right up and repeat the cycle.

My primary was way out of spec on resistance but the secondary was an open circuit, no resistance.

buff

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted October 27, 2008 - 04:22 PM

I was using an OLD analog MM.

tried again with a digital. Primary is barely in spec, and secondary is WELL w/i spec

???

time to start checking wiring

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.