Frame cleaning on 07 WR450

15 replies to this topic
  • steve350f

Posted October 25, 2008 - 07:40 PM

What is the best way to clean off the dark staining from boots or riding pants on the alumi frame? I know it's a dirtbike but that area looks like s*%t after a good washing on the rest for the bike. Also, is there a good protective solution out in the market for that area of the frame? Thanks

• tweav

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:13 PM

if it bothers you too much you could buy some carbon fiber frame guards . I've cleaned mine with just some soap and a scotch-bright pad.

• aussieklx

Posted October 26, 2008 - 01:30 AM

fully polish it bro!

• mightymart

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image
WR 07 frame guards part number 5TJ-W07040-00-00

• steve350f

Posted October 26, 2008 - 08:03 AM

Those frame gusrds are perfect but I can't find them in the US. Seems like all the Yamaha dealers except here in US offer them. Wierd.

• VB_Racing

Posted October 26, 2008 - 09:15 AM

WD 40 and a scotchbrite pad , takes about 5 minutes a side, and they look like new again.:lol:

Dave

• KennyMc

Posted October 26, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Those frame gusrds are perfect but I can't find them in the US. Seems like all the Yamaha dealers except here in US offer them. Wierd.

How about these?

http://www.powerpart...ame-guards.aspx

• steve350f

Posted October 26, 2008 - 12:38 PM

How about these?

http://www.powerpart...ame-guards.aspx

That link is misleading. It's only for the brake res cover, not any frame guards. Works Connection does not show any frame guards on there site for the 07 WR450. Anyone know who has them in the US? Not really diggin the vinyl sticker or carbon fiber direction.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted October 26, 2008 - 01:36 PM

Well, there would be an additional $21 bucks for shipping from Canada. As you say, it's weird they aren't offered here in the US.:lol:

https://www.yamahage...07&Model=WR450F

• Strattos

Posted October 26, 2008 - 02:11 PM

I just use one of those scouring pad/foam pad combos that are meant for dishwashing. While the bike's wet and has my cleaning solution on it I just give the frame a scrub and it cleans up in a minute or so. Comes off really easily.

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 26, 2008 - 11:40 PM

Lightspeed makes carbon fiber covers for the wr/yz450. They look sweeeet.

• RSAthump

Posted October 27, 2008 - 09:00 AM

http://www.hydedevel...P-FG-YAMAHA.JPG

I clean with wd-40 and scotch pad, check out product above, its cheap looks good, and they will ship anywhere in the world::lol:

• KAS

Posted October 27, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Green scotch-brite pad when I wash the bike.

What good would frame guards do? Then you'll just have the ugly black scuff marks all over the frame guards!

• trailhead2004

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:43 AM

How about a little clear vinyl sticker material (available at any decent moto shop for about $20 for 2 ~14x20 inch sheets) wrapped far enough around the sides so it doesn't even scuff it up in the first place. It's reasonably cheap and a package of 2 sheets should last a long time. :lol:

Just a thought.

trailhead2004

• K_Yandell

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Carb Cleaner works the best for me. I spray a little on a terry cloth and the black rubs off really easy. I also use carb cleaner on my plastic to remove scuffs and the black marks from my pants on the radiator shrouds. Don't use brake and parts cleaner on your plastic because it will eat it.

• S1rst

Posted November 01, 2008 - 01:12 PM

I know exactly what you guys mean about the black patches, but mine seems to have gone really shiney where the boots rub. Does the scotch pad and wd-40 work to get these shiney patches back to the matt finish like the rest or are you just talking about the black marks?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.