Steering nut wrench ?

7 replies to this topic
  • Sylvain

Posted January 13, 2003 - 05:21 PM

Is there another tool to use other than the Yamaha tool # YU-33975/90890-01403 (ring nut wrench) to lossen the ring nut on the triple clamp?

What do you guys use to take this ring nut off ?

Thanks

• Bamster

Posted January 14, 2003 - 02:04 AM

A hammer and a punch.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 14, 2003 - 04:22 AM

Channel locks or Vise grips

• YAMAKAZE

Posted January 14, 2003 - 05:03 AM

Hammer and a Punch ???? Sounds like gorilla maintenance to me.....

It's only tightened to 5ft lbs.....Use a pair of channel locks and use the extra money for Beer....

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted January 14, 2003 - 06:01 AM

I already tought about the hammer and the punch to remove it. But this ring nut's job is to preload the head bearings. " Torque at 26 ft/pd - back one turn - and re-torque at 5.1 ft/pd." I wanted to make sure if there was an alternative available. It hurts my principles when I use an ill fitted tool.

But like Yamakase said I can always : Use a pair of channel locks and use the extra money for Beer.....

Sounds good to me :D.

There goes this principle... :)

Thanks

• neWRiver

Posted January 14, 2003 - 08:15 AM

I already tought about the hammer and the punch to remove it. But this ring nut's job is to preload the head bearings. " Torque at 26 ft/pd - back one turn - and re-torque at 5.1 ft/pd." I wanted to make sure if there was an alternative available. It hurts my principles when I use an ill fitted tool.

I feel the same way. However, I've tried to obtain this tool that Yamaha has gone to the trouble to spec a number for. I don't think you'll find it. I couldn't. The reality is that it is not a "part" in the normal sense and does not exist on the fiche or in the parts ordering process. It is pretty common for maufacturers of all types of machinery to spec tools in their tech manuals which are not made available to the public.

Use the punch and hammer or channel locks, etc. That's what everyone does (probably even the dealership techs). The torque values and tightening procedure described in the manual should give you a very good idea of what you are trying to accompish. It won't hurt if you are off by a smidge. :)

• dangler

Posted January 14, 2003 - 11:34 AM

There is a wrench available from Dennis Kirk that I've been told will work but I can't say for sure because I decided to use the 'Channel Lock Method' instead of paying shipping for a $7 part(didn't need anything else at the time). The link is http://www.denniskir...ad&PartNo=28297 . If that link doesn't work, just goto Dennis Kirk's site and search for a SPANNER WRENCH. Might be worth it of you want the 'RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB', as they say. Good luck.

• Sylvain

Posted January 14, 2003 - 01:08 PM

Thanks to all of you guys, :D

It wasn't a big deal to take off this ring nut after all. But now I'm facing a small problem. The outer race of the top bearing is slightly damadged. It seems like there has been water in this region and it began to rust a little bit. It's not much, but since I have the steering head apart, I'd like to replace the damaged part.

I know that I have to replace this top bearing and outer race as a unit. Does anybody have info on the outer race specifications? (Height/inside diam/outside diam)

I could take it off take it off the bike, ruining it in the process, and if the new part take forever to get here, there will be a lot of frustration... :D

Thanks again :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.