A leaf fell into my crankcase

22 replies to this topic
  • gearhead86

Posted October 25, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hey my first post, to bad its about a stupid move.

So I was checking my valve clearance today outside, it's a breezy fall day, and a leaf blew into my engine and fell down to the bottom of my timing chain. I was not able to retrieve it.

Should be worried about it? Or should i just change the oil a couple of times?

It was a small leaf; about 1" x 1/2".

thanks

• William1

Posted October 25, 2008 - 03:13 PM

I'd try to get it out.

It might get eaten in the engine, it might just migrate to and cover the oil pump screen. How lucky are you?

• LILBIT

Posted October 25, 2008 - 04:12 PM

I'd try to get it out.

It might get eaten in the engine, it might just migrate to and cover the oil pump screen. How lucky are you?

I agree. Sorry. Sounds like something i'd do.

• gearhead86

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:02 PM

thanks for the replies.
I tried fishing it out but now I can't even see it.

How big is the oil pump screen?

• hondacrf250rrr

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:04 PM

y dont u just blow some air down there and c if it blows back out

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:23 PM

Remove the ignition cover and pick it out.

(I was very tempted to say, "leaf it alone." ) :lol:

• gearhead86

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'll give this a shot. I'll probably have to replace the cover gasket. I'll have to pick up valve shims from the dealer anyways so I'll pick up a gasket too.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted October 25, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Unless you are using synthetic oil, your gearbox is filled with leaves, and countless other extinct life forms. Sell it and get a boat.

• 06crf_er

Posted October 25, 2008 - 06:03 PM

:lol:

• WR_Dave

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:01 PM

How about just leaning the bike over and letting the oil float it out?? WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gearhead86

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:28 PM

I suspect that the leaf isn't floating due to it's water content. It will probably get washed into the side case cover if I lean the bike over.

It's worth a shot though. I was planning on removing the cover anyways.

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

• doctorchopper

Posted October 26, 2008 - 01:41 AM

that is a tough decision to make, you can run it and hope for the best, it may plug a oil passage and you will cook the engine or it may just pass through everything and get caught in the filter, hard to say what would happen. You could run it for a couple min or so at idle then check the filter and the strainer, really don't know what i would do.

• ckroto

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:55 AM

:p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• yz-dwg

Posted October 27, 2008 - 09:07 AM

some of those oil passages are very small and I would think easy to plug with a leaf/stem, peace of mind, if nothing else, would make me look for it. maybe a good excuse to look at your piston/rings by removing the cylinder.

• feirmeoir

Posted October 27, 2008 - 04:52 PM

Next time roll your smoke before you remove the valve cover.

• BIGMatt

Posted October 29, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Take the ignition cover off and look for it in there. You'll find it somewhere, and then just buy new gaskets to reassemble.

• byggd

Posted October 29, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Next time roll your smoke before you remove the valve cover.

:lol: :p :lol: :lol:

• matt4x4

Posted October 30, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Was it a dry leaf or a semi soft leaf?
Only reason I'm asking is that it is likely sitting on the chain way down there, if you hand crank the engine, it might get mushed (if still soft) into the chain by the gear and magically come to the top embedded in the chain. If dry - it'll likely flake apart.
Another thing you can try is to take a piece of mactac and put it onto a telescopic magnet and see if you can pick it up with the mactac.
Air may blow it the wrong way and you'll need to remove the stator cover and possibly the flywheel (PITA).

• SimonSaysHello

Posted October 30, 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hi GearHead,
Why don't you try necking down a vacume hose to a small tube that
would fit into the spot the leaf went into and suck it out.
Good Luck

• taycam

Posted October 30, 2008 - 07:34 PM

I hate to tell you this but small oil passages and a larger leaf= expensive repair. These engines are very compact and highly strung, there's not much room for fudge factor. Play it safe and do what is necessary to get it out! a gram of prevention is better than a kilo of cure!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.