No oil pressure after oil change

27 replies to this topic
  • mnichols

Posted October 24, 2008 - 10:48 PM

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I did a search on the problem I'm having but I still have some questions. I just purchased a used 07 YZ450F, brought it home and changed the oil and filter. Checked the dipstick and no oil on it. Started the bike with no problem, checked for pressure and no oil came out after a minute so I turned te bike off. Checked the dipstick again, no oil. Pull the oil filter plug, no oil. Pulled the cover to the filter, no oil. Put everything back on and tried to start the bike again, but this time I could hardly kick start the bike. What could be happening here because I'm new to all this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

• buggs bunny

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:38 AM

did you put the oil filter in backwards? :lol:

• mnichols

Posted October 25, 2008 - 06:23 AM

Well I could be wrong, but it seems like the oil filter can only go in one way otherwise the oil cover wouldn't be able to go on...right? It started fine right after the oil change, ran for a minute and I turned it off. Now I can hardley the bike over. Not sure what is happening here.

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2008 - 07:12 AM

Well I could be wrong, but it seems like the oil filter can only go in one way otherwise the oil cover wouldn't be able to go on...right?

That's true unless the bike has one of the Ready Racing oil filter covers on it. Those lack the tab extension that prevents installing the filter the wrong way.

So, when you drained the oil, did you drain from both drain plugs? Was the dip stick unscrewed when you were draining? Did you put one liter (34 ounces) of oil in it?

If you did all that, drain the oil again and see how much comes from each drain. Then, remove the external line on the right side that runs between the "oil tank" and the crankcase cover and be sure it's not obstructed. Likewise, with the dip stick out, be sure air can move freely through the vent fitting on top of the tank, and through the one one the right engine cover.

When you refill, considering the amount of time it's been run without pressure, add back about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the liter directly in through the dip stick hole. Put the rest in through the filler. Run for a minute and see what the dip stick looks like.

• mnichols

Posted October 25, 2008 - 07:35 AM

I just want to say thanks for the replies.

Well here's what I did, took the dipstick and filler cap off, drained from the drain bolt by the filler cap, then took the oil filter and replaced it, put the cover back on, put 1qt in and then realized I forgot to drain from the crankcase. so I drained that, only old oil came out, put the drain bolt back in.

So I just tried clearing the lines and all seems good there. Pulled the drain plug by the filler cap and very little old oil game out. So there's 1 Qt of new oil in there somewhere that doesn't come out with both drain bolts out. Took the filter cap off again...no oil there. Blew air there those lines and they seem clear, ai all the way to the oil pressure bolt. Idea's?? Thanks for any help on this

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2008 - 07:47 AM

It sounds like you put the oil in, then drained it right back out.

When you pour the new oil in, it does not go into the tank, or reservoir section of the system. It goes into the crankcase/sump, so if you pull the dip stick or drain from the tank (the one under the ignition cover), you will see nothing, because the engine has to be run first in order to move the oil there. If you fill the oil, then drain the crankcase before the engine has been run, you will simply drain out the oil you just put in.

Start over. Pull the dip stick, drain both plugs, add 30 ounces of oil (since the filter hasn't been removed), start it, run for a minute, and check.

• mnichols

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:02 AM

I tried that and it sure didn't seem like a Qt came out. I put more in, but I can't even kick the bike now, well I can, but it very had to do. Any ideas why I have nothing coming out the oil perssure bolt? Last night it kicked over fine after the oil change, but no presure. Thanks

• rexbond007

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:26 AM

like gray said, start from scratch, drain oil from both plugs, add a liter, warm up the bike for 3 min. check the level on the dipstick.. the oil sits in the crank. and to get a true reading you have to run the bike for a few minutes.

• husqy360

Posted October 25, 2008 - 06:37 PM

That's true unless the bike has one of the Ready Racing oil filter covers on it. Those lack the tab extension that prevents installing the filter the wrong way.

So, when you drained the oil, did you drain from both drain plugs? Was the dip stick unscrewed when you were draining? Did you put one liter (34 ounces) of oil in it?

If you did all that, drain the oil again and see how much comes from each drain. Then, remove the external line on the right side that runs between the "oil tank" and the crankcase cover and be sure it's not obstructed. Likewise, with the dip stick out, be sure air can move freely through the vent fitting on top of the tank, and through the one one the right engine cover.

When you refill, considering the amount of time it's been run without pressure, add back about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the liter directly in through the dip stick hole. Put the rest in through the filler. Run for a minute and see what the dip stick looks like.

is it importent to drain the oil from both drain plugs?
i only open the bolt on the bottom.

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2008 - 06:48 PM

It's imperative that both drains be used, yes.

When you say, "at the bottom", the bottom of what? They're both at the bottom of something.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted October 25, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Please I hope people are joking here...:p:lol: jk if not, you better throw some Amsoil in that pronto:thumbsup: :lol:

• husqy360

Posted October 25, 2008 - 08:21 PM

i use amsoil and alwayes change it before i see any color difference from new :lol:. 2-3 hours with out reving to high for to long, and ya for now it still feel just like new with about 150 on it. im going back to 13 front t only because of the high revs with 12 and low speed on 5th gear.

so gray im draining the oil after it been warmed, i open the drain bolt on the bottom right side, then open oil filter and put some amsoil 10w40 in it.

the other drain bolt you are talking about is on the left bottom side ? beside the lower left engine mount.

today after traying my buddys 07 rmz450 :p, i fell in love once again ones my leg went over the blue hulk. :lol:

today was my last real ride for this summer, yes it was even snowing a little :lol:

• Justin89

Posted October 25, 2008 - 09:04 PM

Start from scratch, no more draining and filling, draining and filling etc.
Okay heres a whatcha do: My method:smirk:
-Warm up engine etc.
-Remove filler cap and dip stick
-Remove oil drain bolt from LEFT side (it is right behind/below the oil breather hose) near shift pedal etc. In that area
-Remove oil drain bolt from RIGHT side. (this one is more underneath the bike)
-Remove filter bolts/change oil filter
- This next part is what I read about in MXA. and is what I do but you dont have to:
*I hold the kill switch and vey,very slowly push the kick starter down all the way to blow out any excess oil. This is very slowly and is push not a kick
-Put new filter in or clean re-usable filter
-Button everything back up
-Fill proper amount of oil
-Start bike and let it run for a few minutes
-Check oil and if all is well on the dipstick, you're done:ride:

Now if I am doing something wrong here, for the love of all things holy please let me know:ride: :lol: :p

• husqy360

Posted October 25, 2008 - 09:13 PM

Start from scratch, no more draining and filling, draining and filling etc.
Okay heres a whatcha do: My method:smirk:
-Warm up engine etc.
-Remove filler cap and dip stick
-Remove oil drain bolt from LEFT side (it is right behind/below the oil breather hose) near shift pedal etc. In that area
-Remove oil drain bolt from RIGHT side. (this one is more underneath the bike)
-Remove filter bolts/change oil filter
- This next part is what I read about in MXA. and is what I do but you dont have to:
*I hold the kill switch and vey,very slowly push the kick starter down all the way to blow out any excess oil. This is very slowly and is push not a kick
-Put new filter in or clean re-usable filter
-Button everything back up
-Fill proper amount of oil
-Start bike and let it run for a few minutes
-Check oil and if all is well on the dipstick, you're done:ride:

Now if I am doing something wrong here, for the love of all things holy please let me know:ride: :lol: :lol:

thanks man :p . i actully do all this steps except the left side draining bolt.
if i do this kill switch thing will i need to put more then the 1.06?
and ya :lol: :lol:

• Justin89

Posted October 25, 2008 - 09:20 PM

thanks man :lol: .
if i do this kill switch thing will i need to put more then the 1.06?
and ya :p :lol:

No, I believe you will be alright with the correct amount specified in the manual:ride: :lol:

• husqy360

Posted October 25, 2008 - 09:38 PM

:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:31 AM

so gray im draining the oil after it been warmed, i open the drain bolt on the bottom right side, then open oil filter and put some amsoil 10w40 in it.

the other drain bolt you are talking about is on the left bottom side ? beside the lower left engine mount.

You have been draining less than half the oil from your engine, and likely over filling it. There's no more room in the tank (where the dip stick goes) than for the full amount, so the overfill won't show on the stick.

It's a dry sump lube system, so in operation, as much oil as can be is removed from the crankcase as fast as it drains down to it and returned to the oil tank/reservoir in the front of the engine. From there, it is pumped to the filter, and then to all the places it needs to go.

So at any given time, most of the oil in the system is in the reservoir, which you drain by using the bolt on the left, below the ignition cover.

today was my last real ride for this summer, yes it was even snowing a little :p

That's because of global warming. :lol:

• buggs bunny

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:44 AM

this really is funny to read all the responses,to something that should be sooooooooo simple.hope you figure it out before christmas.:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2008 - 06:59 AM

this really is funny to read all the responses,to something that should be sooooooooo simple.hope you figure it out before christmas.:lol:

I'm glad you're having such a good time. :p

The fact is that dry sump oiling is not very common anymore, and is certainly not familiar to most people. Yamaha complicated and confused the matter by putting the filler port in the crankcase, rather than the reservoir, making direct checks and adjustments to the oil level impossible and confusing. Add to that the fact that the dealers more or less NEVER explain the process to their new customers, and you have what you have here.

• buggs bunny

Posted October 27, 2008 - 07:14 AM

this is so funny,i cant stop laughing,though i do feel sorry for mnichols.
:lol: :p :lol: :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.