Exhaust tip

14 replies to this topic
  • skintback426

Posted October 24, 2008 - 07:21 PM

I have an 02 WR426 with stock exhaust (minus the pea shooter) bike runs great, just really don't like the exhaust tip. It looks.... well,,, I don't want to say stupid, but I would say it is my least favorite part of the bike.

Has anyone modified their exhaust tip or is there an aftermarket one that bolts on with the 3 bolts that looks decent. I want to change it up, but I really don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ for a new pipe that will cause me to have to re-jet. Bike runs great now with plenty of power.

• tcmII

Posted October 26, 2008 - 05:17 PM

It sounds (no pun intended) like your running without a baffle. Do all of us a favor and get one. Yamaha GYTR or ProMoto billet both make one that fits the stock pipe. If you want a new pipe, get one that's quiet.

Now to be two-faced. If you insist on running a loud pipe, I have a White Bros E-series that is too loud for any track or trail here in MI. I'll make you a good deal.

• skintback426

Posted October 27, 2008 - 03:42 PM

I have the screen part in there, which is the spark arrestor, right? I just don't have the black painted part that restricts the flow down to about a .5" dia. hole.

Not crazy about the bike being really loud. I just would like to have a pipe that doesn't look like a blunderbuss. I like the looks of the ProMoto billet, but I don't know if I like it that much. But thanks alot for bringing it to my attention, now I know I do have options.

• MaxPower

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:55 AM

[COLOR="Green"]or find a used stock pipe from a YZ for your bike.
It will be quieter than most aftermarkets and cheaper too[/COLOR]

• skintback426

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:11 PM

That's an idea, Thanks!

I guess it will fit the same?

• husqvarnarider

Posted October 29, 2008 - 03:33 PM

I have the GYT-R......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or when I want to cut the ponies loose, a YZ can..........

Posted Image

Posted Image

• skintback426

Posted October 30, 2008 - 06:03 PM

I like the YZ can.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldmanx

Posted October 31, 2008 - 01:48 PM

husqvarnarider - what was the reason for adding the insert? Was it for noise reduction or to add a spark arrester. There are time when I'd like my WR450 to be a bit quieter than what the stock can allows.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 31, 2008 - 02:25 PM

why don't they make these tips to turn down toward the ground more? That would quiet things up a bit.

• husqvarnarider

Posted October 31, 2008 - 03:30 PM

Yeah....it was for noise reduction. The spark arrestor is still behind the 3-bolt plate. In the local enduro/dual-sports they sound test, and a lot of AMA events too. Plus...some of my "secret trails" require a bit of stealth :lol: I experimented with several home-made inserts, but settled on the GYT-R. It quiets it down substantially, with little loss on the bottom. the YZ can is actually shortened, and even with Silent Sport packing it's LOUD. I use it for track riding only.

• oldmanx

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Yeah....it was for noise reduction. The spark arrestor is still behind the 3-bolt plate. In the local enduro/dual-sports they sound test, and a lot of AMA events too. Plus...some of my "secret trails" require a bit of stealth :lol: I experimented with several home-made inserts, but settled on the GYT-R. It quiets it down substantially, with little loss on the bottom. the YZ can is actually shortened, and even with Silent Sport packing it's LOUD. I use it for track riding only.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into a tip for my stealth needs...

• skintback426

Posted November 03, 2008 - 03:29 PM

Anyone got a YZ pipe for sale?

• kjr247

Posted November 03, 2008 - 05:54 PM

Yeah I added the GYTR to mine so I had the option to quiet it down. This way I can put the stock insert in when I wanted to be quiet and not disturb houses close by. I guess you could do the same thing with the YZ pipe but was not a quick to change out.

• phoo

Posted November 04, 2008 - 12:47 PM

Newbie question --

So I have a YZ exhaust, and after being inspired by this and some other recent exhaust threads, I now believe the reason it was no quieter than my current aftermarket exhaust is because it has little to no packing left. So I am going to pick up some of that Silent Sport packing material (thanks to whomever for the tip), but I'm curious if I can put one of these quieter tips people keep talking about onto the YZ pipe. The YZ pipe I have (2003 YZ450, I believe) is riveted, rather than having three bolts. Is there a way to mount up an aftermarket tip?

Thanks,

~Patrick

• Solo

Posted November 06, 2008 - 07:44 PM

Newbie question --

So I have a YZ exhaust, and after being inspired by this and some other recent exhaust threads, I now believe the reason it was no quieter than my current aftermarket exhaust is because it has little to no packing left. So I am going to pick up some of that Silent Sport packing material (thanks to whomever for the tip), but I'm curious if I can put one of these quieter tips people keep talking about onto the YZ pipe. The YZ pipe I have (2003 YZ450, I believe) is riveted, rather than having three bolts. Is there a way to mount up an aftermarket tip?

Thanks,

~Patrick

http://www.promotobi.../products_id/43

You can add the silent tip to that for more stealth. It has a bit of turn down to it and lowers the noise. I have that setup on mine and it blew 94db two weeks ago before the race.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.