Is Anybody Running A Rekluse Clutch In Their WR450F

61 replies to this topic
  • mslow

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Exactly the info i was looking for, thanks Krannie.
I can't afford the Pro-Start and it sounds like the EXP would not be good for my type of riding.
I also do a lot of sand riding which is pretty much all steer with the rear type riding.

• n16ht5

Posted February 18, 2013 - 12:13 PM

I run Z-Start Pro.. I ride lots of switchbacks, don't have the problem Krannie did with his EXP. I run 16/50 gearing too, super tall.. wouldn't be possible at all without the rekluse. the LHRB is what really makes the rekluse shine IMO.

• Yzfracer

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just installed the exp 2.0. Love it !! Removed the revloc dyna ring that was in there. The screws kept coming loose on the dyna ring.. The exp is ten times better. I don't have the engine braking that I had with the rev loc. Anyone reduce the gap at the clutch perch without any excess wear ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 18, 2013 - 02:59 PM

I run Z-Start Pro.. I ride lots of switchbacks, don't have the problem Krannie did with his EXP. I run 16/50 gearing too, super tall.. wouldn't be possible at all without the rekluse. the LHRB is what really makes the rekluse shine IMO.

&%$#@!??? 16/50 !!!

I guess you do some serious distance, eh?

So, are you able to do any serious throttle control maneuvers in first gear, while the clutch is 'under-engaged'....?

• n16ht5

Posted February 19, 2013 - 07:52 AM

&%$#@!??? 16/50 !!!

I guess you do some serious distance, eh?

So, are you able to do any serious throttle control maneuvers in first gear, while the clutch is 'under-engaged'....?

I ride to the trails half the time, need to cruise 70mph without going orange. yes, I do a lot of 1st/2nd gear trails.

http://youtu.be/z00FFR3GVGk?t=2m16s

Edited by n16ht5, February 19, 2013 - 07:52 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:02 PM

I ride to the trails half the time, need to cruise 70mph without going orange. yes, I do a lot of 1st/2nd gear trails.

http://youtu.be/z00FFR3GVGk?t=2m16s

Wow, and you don't fry clutch plates plonking along at 3mph with 16/50??

You must not weight much... :goofy:

• Navaho6

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Krannie, how much difference did the heavier wedges make in the EXP 2.0?

Edited by Navaho6, February 19, 2013 - 08:11 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Krannie, how much difference did the heavier wedges make in the EXP 2.0?

It engages more completely in a shorter period of time. It does not feel substantially different, until you try a hill from a standing stop, and you notice the clutch no longer slips as much or as often.

It still does not engage anywhere near fast or hard enough for me.
I was unable to spin the rear wheel when I wanted to, unless the rpms were up around 4000 or higher

Edited by Krannie, February 20, 2013 - 06:28 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Krannie, thanks. I take it that you weigh a bit more than I do (165). I got it installed last night and will put it to the test this weekend. We don't have any long steep hills but I do occasionally go up to AR or OK to ride. I could simply restore it back to manual for those rides. Everything down here is 2nd and 3rd gear single track with very little elevation change. Rekluse has a 30-day guarantee, so I can send it back if it's not working like I need it to. You gotta love that deal.

Edited by Navaho6, February 20, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

• mslow

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Navaho, please report back with your thoughts!
Does anyone use the rekluse in packed sand and the really soft sugar sands? Thoughts?

Edited by msanna, February 20, 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Just tried out the EXP 2.0 in my 2006 out on flat ground in the field behind the office. Very impressed so far!! I think it is going to be perfect for the tight woods that we ride. If there is anything to find fault with, I haven't found it yet. I like how I can stand on the rear brake, bring it almost to a complete stop, then blip the throttle and stand it up without any feeling of slippage. Perfect clutch action every time! Jumped a few logs, and that's where this autoclutch really shines. Now I understand why people say that it is like cheating. It is effortless (never a need to touch the lever) and one less thing to worry about. You can focus more on bike control (balancing) because your not having to think about the clutch and stalling. Log crossings and slow speed obstacles just got a lot easier.

I do not have a heavy throttle hand. Where we ride, the 450 will get you in trouble if you are not smooth on the throttle. I see no problems lugging the motor with the EXP 2.0 but I will give it the real test this weekend and report back.

Edited by Navaho6, February 21, 2013 - 05:00 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:33 AM

I've always described it as "legalized cheating"!!! :smirk: Thats how impressive they are!!! Glad you like it!!!

• Navaho6

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:18 AM

I was wondering why the Rekluse website did not list the Core EXP 2.0 for the 2006 WR450. That's what I thought I needed but they list it only for 2007 - 2012 WR's. I looked up the oem clutch part #'s, and they are the same for the 2006 as for the later models. Just talked to Rekluse about it and this is what they said:

1. Core EXP 2.0 that is listed for the 2007 - 2012 WR450F will fit the 2006 WR450F but it is not listed on the website as it should be.
2. EXP 2.0 is adequate for most riders. Those who ride in tough conditions that would put a lot of strain on a clutch (deep silt for long stretches) or AA-speed/pro racers who are hard on clutches might experience some slippage and heat build up with the EXP 2.0. You can upgrade your EXP 2.0 on your WR450 to a Core EXP by purchasing the upgrade kit (RMS-7673) for $500 which is the difference in cost between the two kits.
3. They are getting good life out of the the EXP 2.0.
4. Core EXP 2.0 would give you a lighter pull at lever with some free play, making it feel just like stock. It will also provide a cooler running clutch in tough conditions because you will be adding clutch plates that were removed for the EXP 2.0 assembly. More plates = better hook-up.

• OZ DRZ

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:27 PM

It engages more completely in a shorter period of time. It does not feel substantially different, until you try a hill from a standing stop, and you notice the clutch no longer slips as much or as often.

It still does not engage anywhere near fast or hard enough for me.
I was unable to spin the rear wheel when I wanted to, unless the rpms were up around 4000 or higher

are you saying it still doesn't engage fast or hard enough with the heavier wedges installed? i found there was too much clutch slipping in higher gears at lower revs with lots of throttle so installed the heavier wedges. it now engages quickly at just above idle which is perfect for my type of riding, but sounds like you are having a different experience?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:15 PM

are you saying it still doesn't engage fast or hard enough with the heavier wedges installed? i found there was too much clutch slipping in higher gears at lower revs with lots of throttle so installed the heavier wedges. it now engages quickly at just above idle which is perfect for my type of riding, but sounds like you are having a different experience?

Yes, it was better.

My issue was that with all my gear and the weight of the bike and me, it was over 570lbs.....so I can't expect miracles...
This was on my 450X with OS tank and 35lbs of water and tools and parts.

...but getting close to 550lbs is pretty common with a dual sport and a Vet rider...and that's asking a lot of one expanding wedge and less clutch plates!

When I moved it over to my KX450F, it worked better, but made the bike much less fun to ride, cause you could not get the power to the ground fast enough: it would slip into engagement and do what it was supposed to do: improve traction and eliminate stalling....but it made 'play moto' manuevuers impossible without fanning the clutch constantly.

I found it difficult to hold a drift slide or do a carved-turn corner with the Rekluse. You HAD to be in higher rpms to do it.
I never really expected those to be possible, but missed being able to do it, when it was gone...

So, if I were building a singletrack only bike, I would consider a Core EXP or a Z-start.

• Navaho6

Posted February 23, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I put the EXP 2.0 to the test today on 30 miles of muddy single track. It worked great. Normally I get arm pump really bad on the first loop. None today! I usually stall out several times. Not once today did I stall. This EXP 2.0 definitely makes me faster. The only issue I had with the autoclutch is it would slip too much if you were in too high of a gear but that is just an indicator that you need to downshift.

I talked to two guys today that are both running the Core Exp 2.0 and they love it for tight single track. Both guys said that they went with lighter springs so I might try that next.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:26 PM

I put the EXP 2.0 to the test today on 30 miles of muddy single track. It worked great. Normally I get arm pump really bad on the first loop. None today! I usually stall out several times. Not once today did I stall. This EXP 2.0 definitely makes me faster. The only issue I had with the autoclutch is it would slip too much if you were in too high of a gear but that is just an indicator that you need to downshift.

I talked to two guys today that are both running the Core Exp 2.0 and they love it for tight single track. Both guys said that they went with lighter springs so I might try that next.

Yeah, try the silver springs.

• upnorthbacon

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:38 AM

I ran the cheapest EXP that just replaced plates with the EXP ring all last summer. I ran two enduros and three hare scrambles and I'm a C rider and had zero issues. The clutch pull is harder, I would say significantly. If you clutch a lot it will take some getting used to. Beauty part of the WR450 is in the tight single track I race I can just run 2nd and 3rd most of the time so I'm not shifting a bunch. Best part is definately coming into a corner and jamming on the rear brake with no worries of stalling! I may jump ship to a YZ250 this year and If so I'll upgrade to the Z Start Pro or Core EXP. I don't think I'd want to be using the clutch a ton for 2-3 hours during races on a 2t, I think the extra stiffness would induce arm pump faster. On a side note I originally had a YZ450 with the EXP installed and when I bought the WR I just called rekluse and ordered the new correct springs and I was able to throw it right into the WR. Thier customer service is second to none!

Edited by upnorthbacon, March 04, 2013 - 12:39 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:25 AM

The clutch pull is harder, I would say significantly. If you clutch a lot it will take some getting used to.

The main reason I got the Rekluse EXP 2.0 is so that I would not have to touch the clutch lever again, and I haven't. Took me a few minutes to adjust to it.

One comment I don't remember hearing about before I bought the autoclutch is the improved control you have by being able to keep a full grip on the left side, especially through tough obstacles and in hard turns. Less arm fatigue from not pulling the lever but also from having a better grip on the bars. Huge improvement in safety.

Edited by Navaho6, March 05, 2013 - 11:32 AM.

• mslow

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:20 AM

well, i decided to pull the trigger and i ordered the z-start pro kit. anxiously awiating for it to arrive, just in time for some gnarly rock riding next weekend, with lots of rocky, rooty, steep climbs...i'll report on how it worked out for me

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.