Is Anybody Running A Rekluse Clutch In Their WR450F

61 replies to this topic
  • TriCal

Posted October 24, 2008 - 05:34 PM

I had been thinking strongly about getting a Rekluse clutch for my 08 WR 450F and would appreciate any views for or against it? I lowered my gearing by two cogs on the back from 13/50 to 13/52 and that helped but I still think the 450 is a pig and chugs along too fast at idle speed in the really slow tight stuff where you have to put your foot down or on obstacles! Too fast for me anyway! Bare in mind I have done all the mods on this thing and have a full LeoVince X3 system on it and its jetted perfectly, the thing runs like a clock (a very fast one)! lol, its just too fast at idle! Other than that I love this thing so much Id nearly bring it to bed with me:lol:
I have a WR250F and it has the very same gearing and it just seems perfect for me, in fact Im way faster over a long tight gnarly trail on it than on the 450!
Obviously the 450 is going to be a lot more work but allowing for that it still pushes the front too much when turning tight at idle speed and I thought a Rekluse might solve this problem?
Any thoughts, suggestions or must haves in your eye's for the WR450F would be greatly appreciated :lol:

• tweav

Posted October 24, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Yes a rekluse will help in the slow tach stuff . I like mine it makes the crawling around over logs and such easier. I'm not really sure you would really need to regear but that's depends on how and where you ride .

Note: if your riding so slow that you want to gear the bike down you may want to think about putting a fan on your bike .

• obsessivecompulsive

Posted October 25, 2008 - 12:47 PM

I can definately reccomend the Rekluse. I came from a 250 to the 450 and really struggled in tight single track until I fitted the Rekluse. Now I'm heaps faster than on the 250. I went the LHRB option also.

• TriCal

Posted October 25, 2008 - 01:09 PM

I can definately reccomend the Rekluse. I came from a 250 to the 450 and really struggled in tight single track until I fitted the Rekluse. Now I'm heaps faster than on the 250. I went the LHRB option also.

Thanks for the recommendation. What is the LHRB option?
What bikes do or did you ride? Any WR's?

• TriCal

Posted October 25, 2008 - 01:13 PM

Yes a rekluse will help in the slow tach stuff . I like mine it makes the crawling around over logs and such easier. I'm not really sure you would really need to regear but that's depends on how and where you ride .

Note: if your riding so slow that you want to gear the bike down you may want to think about putting a fan on your bike .

That sounds like a good idea, although in the tight stuff an average Im in second gear except for obstacles which is where I have my issues with the gearing. Rekluse definitely seems to be the way to go it seems!
Thanks for the info :lol:

• obsessivecompulsive

Posted October 25, 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. What is the LHRB option?
What bikes do or did you ride? Any WR's?

LHRB = Left Hand Rear Brake. I removed the foot brake but some people choose to have both.

I had an 06 CRF250X with an Athena 280 kit and now have an 08 WR450 with the Rekluse Pro, LHRB and IMS 12 litre tank.

• TriCal

Posted October 25, 2008 - 11:56 PM

LHRB = Left Hand Rear Brake. I removed the foot brake but some people choose to have both.

I had an 06 CRF250X with an Athena 280 kit and now have an 08 WR450 with the Rekluse Pro, LHRB and IMS 12 litre tank.

Sounds like a hell of a nice setup!! Do you do a lot of enduro or trails? How many miles on average do you get from the 12 litre tank?

• obsessivecompulsive

Posted October 26, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Sounds like a hell of a nice setup!! Do you do a lot of enduro or trails? How many miles on average do you get from the 12 litre tank?

I do trail riding only, mainly hilly single track around here. I get around 140km from a tank. I've got a JD jet kit fitted and a Pro Moto end cap on the std exhaust.

• budweiserfrog

Posted October 26, 2008 - 05:06 PM

I too use the rekluse in my 2004 wr450 and wouldn't change back to a manual clutch for any reason. I've had it now for 4 years and love it. I don't have the LHRB but i did get the optional Perch Adjuster so i can still use the clutch as normal.

• clamp007

Posted October 26, 2008 - 07:19 PM

Are you guys running the Z-Start Pro or the regular version. I am interested in a rekluse as well & would like to keep the cost down. I don't know if I'm going to need the clutch at any point, which is what the Pro allows, so what do you think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 26, 2008 - 08:28 PM

Are you guys running the Z-Start Pro or the regular version. I am interested in a rekluse as well & would like to keep the cost down. I don't know if I'm going to need the clutch at any point, which is what the Pro allows, so what do you think?

I have the pro on my yz250 smoker. Its only going to help you in the super slow technical stuff. You just turn the throttle and it goes. If you are crawling slowly up a hill or over extremely rocky terrain, you'll notice that your left forearm will love you for it.

Anything above 10mpg and you won't be using the Rekluse. Get the pro version so you can still feather and clutch your way up hills. That won't change.

If you stall a lot, the Rekluse will stop that. The bike will just keep running. You still have the ride the bike though.

btw... there is no engine braking with the Rekluse. Downhills become quite "exciting" when you are freewheeling all the time.

one more thing... You will have to learn to make sure that you are in neutral before revving the bike. You will launch your bike away from under you if you are in gear and you touch the throttle.

I am undecided about whether or not I want it on my wr450 yet. But it does help me with the 2 stroke.

• Spooner

Posted October 26, 2008 - 08:39 PM

The bike shouldn't freewheel down hills.. I just put mine in this weekend and I still have engine braking. Maybe since you have it on a 2 stroke it makes it a little different, but they don't have much engine braking to start with.

• clamp007

Posted October 26, 2008 - 09:32 PM

Well that's something I'd really like to maintain, the engine braking!
Does it really eliminate it altogether?

• tweav

Posted October 26, 2008 - 10:12 PM

My bike engine brakes still it never freewheel unless I pull in the clutch overide and hold it until the engine and the bike gearing slows way down below the point of engaugement . on my wr like in 2nd gear you would have to slow down to about 4 mph and get the rpm's below 1600 . I would say all these guys that are having trouble with their bike freewheeling have their point of engaugement set too high. I've got all the balls installed in mine with the medium spring setup and have never had an issue.

Ps. I have a vapor mounted on my bike so ,Yes I can track the rpm fairly close.

• TriCal

Posted October 26, 2008 - 11:10 PM

I too use the rekluse in my 2004 wr450 and wouldn't change back to a manual clutch for any reason. I've had it now for 4 years and love it. I don't have the LHRB but i did get the optional Perch Adjuster so i can still use the clutch as normal.

Thanks for the advice. I think I definitely have my mind set on a Z start pro version!
Hey where in Ireland do you ride the WR? Not too many WR'S in Eire I would have thought!

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 26, 2008 - 11:34 PM

I have had a Rekluse in my WR for about 6 months now, and it is really a great thing for the bike. The engine braking/lack of engine braking really has to do with how you have the Rekluse set up. I have the hard engagement spring in mine right now, and my bike has begun to freewheel a bit on down hill sections until I blap the throttle, and then it seems to kick in. It didn't do this when I had the soft engagement spring in there. I have found the rekluse to have significant advantages is slower tougher terrain, especially in climbs. I also really like it when I run enduros and am not particularly fresh in the later miles. The only drawback that I have found with it is that if you do manage to kill/stall the bike, it will act almost as if it's in neutral, even when in gear. This means that if you don't make it up a hill, you have a bike that is in neutral and will want to roll down the hill, so be warned, make it up the hill at all costs. I really like mine though, and would never go back to a regular clutch unless I started riding only desert.

P.S. if you do a ton of slower technical riding, especially single track or rocks, you need to try a trials tire. That in combination with the Rekluse has transformed my bike from a pig into a mountain goat.

• TriCal

Posted October 26, 2008 - 11:41 PM

I have had a Rekluse in my WR for about 6 months now, and it is really a great thing for the bike. The engine braking/lack of engine braking really has to do with how you have the Rekluse set up. I have the hard engagement spring in mine right now, and my bike has begun to freewheel a bit on down hill sections until I blap the throttle, and then it seems to kick in. It didn't do this when I had the soft engagement spring in there. I have found the rekluse to have significant advantages is slower tougher terrain, especially in climbs. I also really like it when I run enduros and am not particularly fresh in the later miles. The only drawback that I have found with it is that if you do manage to kill/stall the bike, it will act almost as if it's in neutral, even when in gear. This means that if you don't make it up a hill, you have a bike that is in neutral and will want to roll down the hill, so be warned, make it up the hill at all costs. I really like mine though, and would never go back to a regular clutch unless I started riding only desert.

P.S. if you do a ton of slower technical riding, especially single track or rocks, you need to try a trials tire. That in combination with the Rekluse has transformed my bike from a pig into a mountain goat.

I was just thinking that! I tend to try use a nobbly soft tire whenever I can, any trail tire Iv seen seems to be almost like a road tire! Is this the way forward? I like Hollister and thought a tire like that would be like a slick after a breef run around the back wet section!!??

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 27, 2008 - 12:18 AM

Hollister is the one place that I haven't been with the trials tire yet. I don't know how well it would really do there with all of the sandy washes. I love it at places like middlecreek and cow mountain, but those places are dry now, and they are also a mix of hard dirt, and harder dirt, with rocks sprinkled on top to bend some rims. When those places get wet they get really muddy, and I don't know how the trials tire would do in that either. I know that when it gets really muddy, you usually lose almost all of your traction with a knobby anyway, so maybe it won't be any worse. I don't have the answers to these questions yet, but when it starts raining, I'll get out there with it and report back. Who knows, maybe it will work nicely?

• oldmanx

Posted October 27, 2008 - 06:21 AM

Well that's something I'd really like to maintain, the engine braking!
Does it really eliminate it altogether?

I have the older style Rekluse with a perch adjuster. The only time that I lose engine braking is if I lock up the rear wheel on a downhill. A quick blip on the throttle re-engages the clutch and engine braking returns.

• budweiserfrog

Posted October 27, 2008 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I definitely have my mind set on a Z start pro version!
Hey where in Ireland do you ride the WR? Not too many WR'S in Eire I would have thought!

I'd also go for the Pro version again if given the choice.
When i bought mine 4 years ago the regular version was the only type available.
So from what i hear the pro version gives better manual override of the auto clutch than my older version does.
With mine and the perch adjuster i can hold in the clutch from a low or idle rev to help clear an obstacle from a standing start, like a large log or hole in the ground, but i couldnt use the clutch lever at speed as the clutch just wouldn't let go.
The Pro version seemingly gives a more normal use to the lever.
And in Eire i ride any forestry i can. But although we're not breaking any laws provided we ride Road legal, Road Registered, Road taxed and Insured WR's or the like, we still meet ordinary people and rangers telling us that its not their policy to allow anybody except walkers to enjoy our beautiful countryside.
Or a minority of walkers who think they own everything, but most are quite friendly and give a friendly wave when we meet.
So in ireland we have some people who ride moto-x bikes, And others who ride Enduros, like me, as closed circuit is just not my interest. I prefer to hit the trails and enjoy the scenery.:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.