Which Ring on Top?

11 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 23, 2008 - 01:23 PM

Im rebuilding my top end and im trying to figure out which ring goes on top. the brown one or the black one?

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2008 - 01:44 PM

Try them in the grooves. I don't think they both fit in both of them.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 23, 2008 - 01:47 PM

Try them in the grooves. I don't think they both fit in both of them.

thank you very much...as soon as i read that i noticed that the black one wouldnt even go in the other grove. :lol:

• husqy360

Posted October 23, 2008 - 07:16 PM

hey
i need alittle bit of help.
my yz450f have about 150 hours.
im going to rebuild the top end and put a new timing chain in a few weeks, just to be safe for the next 2 sessons.:lol:
which top end kit is the best? oem or after market. found a deal on ebay 150 shippped http://cgi.ebay.com/...RTQ:MOTORS:1123
is there a way to check when piston should be replaced. maybe compression gage.
will you recommend to replace anything alse while im in there .
thanks alot

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2008 - 07:49 PM

A leak down test, performed by your local shop, is the best way to determine the condition of the rings. If it passes that, then there's not much reason to do any more with it than the timing chain. Or, you can adopt the philosophy that if you replace the rings now, you won't need to later, when it might not be as convenient.

That's kind of the approach I've taken with my son's bike. He's at boot camp, the head gasket is under suspicion, and it's got about 150 on it, so I'm putting rings in at the same time.

As for the piston, you can measure it, and actually see if it has significant wear. Look at the skirts, inspect the pin bore, and measure the ring side clearance with the new rings. It's all in the manual.

Hone the cylinder:
http://www.thumperta...759#post4380759

• jcorni

Posted October 24, 2008 - 04:26 AM

I just replaced my piston,rings,timing chain,valve springs, and valve seals on my 06 WR450. I was very surprised at how good the condition was on the piston. The motor has about 11,000 miles on it and was still running strong.My timing chain was only stretched about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch.
I think that by keeping the oil fresh and air filters clean is the reason these parts wore so well.
I'm looking forward to the next 11,000.:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 24, 2008 - 09:30 AM

I just replaced my piston,rings,timing chain,valve springs, and valve seals on my 06 WR450. I was very surprised at how good the condition was on the piston. The motor has about 11,000 miles on it and was still running strong.My timing chain was only stretched about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch.
I think that by keeping the oil fresh and air filters clean is the reason these parts wore so well.
I'm looking forward to the next 11,000.:lol:

Not bad for a couple of newbies trying to rebuilt their first 4 stroke. Heck we even got it timed correctly the first time (after a quick TT search and found a response from Gray (suprise suprise)).:p

• husqy360

Posted October 24, 2008 - 02:42 PM

which piston should last longer, oem or after market?

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2008 - 02:47 PM

The answer to that question is difficult to give definitively, and it seems to me that it would depend to some degree on how the engine is used, but in general, the OEM piston is very durable. It will probably outlast a Wiseco in most cases, but a CP unit could be a different story.

• husqy360

Posted October 24, 2008 - 03:23 PM

how much those cp pistons go for?

• Kasjok

Posted October 24, 2008 - 10:14 PM

Got mine for 190$ from ebay. It was more expensive then other brands, but I really wanted to try it out. I bought the one with 13:1 compression.

• husqy360

Posted October 25, 2008 - 12:44 AM

190 is pretty good for a little bit peace of mind.
thanks again for the help guys .:lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.