Melting Plastic!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • jpkidd

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:08 PM

I have just installed a new rear fender on my WR450 and noticed on the right side were the plastic slides in between the exhaust and the frame it started to melt when I road it around the block. What have some of you done to prevent this? The old fender looked like it had melted at some point too. It also had some sort of heat shield on it. I have looked around for some of this material and no one seems to have it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kirk

• jmc1583

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:44 PM

I think there is just a sheet of fiberglass glued to the inside of my fender...I think all fiberglass will insulate from heat. You might be able to go to walmart and pick up a fiberglass kit and just glue it right on. But you might want to get a second opinion on that.

• BajaFool

Posted October 22, 2008 - 09:02 PM

All WR's have a metal faced insulation blanket installed on the inside of the R/H Side Panel to prevent melting from occurring. Go to the Yamaha Motors website, http://www.yamaha-motor.com/go into parts manuals, look up the year and model motorcycle. Look under Side Panel for "insulation". Order the insulation from your Yamaha dealer--- end of problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxomatica

Posted October 22, 2008 - 09:40 PM

I bought some of the heat reflective tape from Lordco here in Canada and it worked great. Can't remember what it was called but they seemed to know right away and sold it to me for about fifteen buck a roll. A roll should last you a lifetime.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 23, 2008 - 06:38 AM

I bought some of the heat reflective tape from Lordco here in Canada and it worked great. Can't remember what it was called but they seemed to know right away and sold it to me for about fifteen buck a roll. A roll should last you a lifetime.

This is what I did. Go to the hardware store and ask them for reflective heat tape. I put a few layers on. Do the inside of your right side number plate too:thumbsup:

• jpkidd

Posted October 23, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Guys,

My right number plate still has the stuff on the back. It was the new rear fender that is the problem. I went to all the typical automotive places for heat reflective tape. I didn’t even think about a hardware store. I will check it out.

• CheYuen

Posted October 23, 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hardware stores is where I found it. The stuff sold at the automotive store was very expensive. Look in the ducting aisle and you should find a few kinds of inexpensice heat reflective tape.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.