08 yzf for 09 kxf?!

16 replies to this topic
  • siscokid7

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:50 PM

I have an opportunity to trade my 08 yz450f for an 09 kx450f. I am growing on the yamie more and more but the efi on the kawie is tempting me to trade. Now i was going to get an 09 kawie originally but i wanted to see what kind of problems they had first. And I got the yamaha not because it was a second choice, but because i love the engine. So far so good. Now I need all you yz450 riders out there to convince me why I shouldnt trade!! I am not leaning either way right now. They both have there pros and cons. The yamaha has potential for greater power because i could always get a larger carb, but the I have all the FI software for the kawie already. I would just have to plug and play for adjustments. Obviously the yamaha is a great bike, but is it better than the kawie? Opinions, rants and negative comments, I'll take them all!!:lol:

• ProjectDIRT

Posted October 22, 2008 - 09:03 PM

just keep the yamie

• matts06yzf

Posted October 23, 2008 - 05:29 PM

Doubt you need a larger carb for yami or "more power" anyway. Unless you have a pro license you cant even get close to doing what a stock 450 is capable of doing, unless you are drag racing it. The 09 Kawi is not proven, will it be good? or will it be a nightmare? Its heavy as hell we do know that. Im not bias but I have 2 08 yamis and one has over 100 hours of solid racing and it has not given me a single issue. If you like the yamaha keep it a good dependable bike. I would let other people be test dummies for the new Kawi. I do whoever like the 09 honda. Not enough to switch brands but its good I have spent time on one.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 24, 2008 - 11:47 AM

If you are in need of a new bike, get the KX - it is a sweet ride. I rode one a couple of weekends ago. There is nothing that it does not do well. The suspension is not as good as a YZF but with $$$ it can be ...and be better. Power is definitely better than the 08 yami...or should I say the way it puts power to the ground and more importantly it carves turns compared to a 08 YZF
I only hate Kawi quality(and it is better than it used to be)and that god aweful ugly Green color, other than this it is a great bike...and I think it will be the top 450 shootout winner this year....
:lol:

• siscokid7

Posted October 24, 2008 - 11:52 AM

If you are in need of a new bike, get the KX - it is a sweet ride. I rode one a couple of weekends ago. There is nothing that it does not do well. The suspension is not as good as a YZF but with $$$ it can be ...and be better. Power is definitely better than the 08 yami...or should I say the way it puts power to the ground and more importantly it carves turns compared to a 08 YZF
I only hate Kawi quality(and it is better than it used to be)and that god aweful ugly Green color, other than this it is a great bike...and I think it will be the top 450 shootout winner this year....
:lol:

Are you judging this on the stock yamaha pipe? As far as putting the power to the ground I mean. And I thought the kawie and yamie both use the kyb sss forks? Only the kawie has the dlc on the tubes, right? I dont need a new bike, my yz is only a month old. But I said my next dirtbike is going to be my last so I wanna make sure I really like what I get and am going to be happy with it for a while.:p

• adamdf

Posted March 03, 2009 - 02:14 PM

:p

I know this thread is old (sort of) but i am in the market for a new bike GA426! Would like to hear some more in depth info on the kxf vs YZF because those are the two i am considering, the KTM and me are not the best of friends at the moment so i'm goin back Jap.

• husqy360

Posted March 03, 2009 - 06:01 PM

:moon: :lol:
i have 06 yz, yes not best turning bike but :p i will never trade it for anything alse,:ride: it never gave me any problem what so ever :banana:

and the inside of it still look as it left the factory, so for me to trade it for some diffrent bike :p , it will need to be just as relaible or more, cuz we all know who win this departmant, and for us(semi pro) the bike color dosnt metter that much.
the suzuki feel very small for me. never trayed the kawi.

so if you want to :moon: your bike, and not your truck to the dealer garage:moon: keep the blue horse!

• wellsy1

Posted March 03, 2009 - 06:18 PM

The things I like about the kawie, The limited edition model is sweet, The efi would be interesting. I've riden an 08CRF450, they're pretty sweet, but you cant beat going with yamie. Since the day I got my 06YZ450F I loved it. Sure you got to change some things on it to make it fit your needs. BUt thats half the fun even if it costs you a couple of grand! I would rather blow money on my bike any day, and hang out in my favorite dritbike shop, rather then watch my wife blow my money at the stuiped mall.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motodreams

Posted March 03, 2009 - 06:23 PM

08 Yami all the way... For me it feels lighter and more nimble, closer to a 250. Very stable and unmatched durability. Hot or cold, 1 or 2 kicks max.

Good luck and have fun with what ever you decide.

• yzinger6

Posted March 03, 2009 - 06:36 PM

My opinion: Never buy the first generation of any massive modifications, Ie EFI....I have heard a of a lot of problems with that 09 crf for instance. I think in the upcoming years the EFI will be the bread and butter, but for now, I will stick with what is a proven method.

• sc149

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:10 PM

keep the yz, what have you heard about the 09 kx 450's from their forum. They are cool, i saw one today at the shop. Have you ridden the kawi yet?

• SparksXR426

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:15 PM

I know this thread is old (sort of) but i am in the market for a new bike GA426! Would like to hear some more in depth info on the kxf vs YZF because those are the two i am considering, the KTM and me are not the best of friends at the moment so i'm goin back Jap.

Come on, somebody has to ask what happened to the "orange pumpkin"! Everybody likes broken bike stories as long as its not their make and model.

• sc149

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:44 PM

i would keep the yz

• Honda574

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:47 PM

I rode the 08 YZ450 and 09 KX450 back to back.
I ended up with the KX.
Why?
Power delivery, front end planted in corners, EFI, looks, serviceability (Yami frame is a bit wierd in the radiator area), easier to start.

Yes, the KX weighs more. But can you feel it? Not so much for me.

Normally, I would stay away from 1st year FMC. However, KX hit the EFI setting perfect. Much better than 09 Honda. I rode it also.

Yamaha will have FMC for 2010. I bet it will have EFI and all new engine.

Any of these bikes are great. However, there are subtle differences. Pick the one that has the core things you like and modify from there.

Hope this helps.

• husqy360

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Power delivery, front end planted in corners, EFI, looks, serviceability (Yami frame is a bit wierd in the radiator area), easier to start.

my yz power delivery is just perfect, will start in 2-3 kicks and i have no problem working on my bike. no need to do anyway :p

i guess its all personal preferences, try both and decide which 1 u like better.

• adamdf

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:45 PM

Come on, somebody has to ask what happened to the "orange pumpkin"! Everybody likes broken bike stories as long as its not their make and model.

Nothin wrong with the KTM, i just don't think it suits me very much and i'm gonna give the kaw or yami a try.

• KTM RULES

Posted March 06, 2009 - 06:57 AM

definately keep the yamaha. my 08 has never given me a problem since i bought it and it is the best bike iver ever owned :p

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.