Piston, cam, bigbore for 400?

5 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted October 22, 2008 - 05:21 PM

I have my wr timed to yz specs and love the top end power, however i would love to get some more mid/low power without loosing the top.

With my old 4 strokes, i would always add a highcompression piston and a cam, and maby bore it.

My question is with the 400, what is stock compression, and can i run a higher compression piston with pump gas?

would an aftermarkert cam set like a hotcam, etc really make a difference in power?

Do they make a big bore for an older 400 like mine?Is it possible to swap in a newer 450 cyl? thanks alot guys....been riding the bike stock and love it, but always looking for more power....ive been riding with streetbikes lol.

• tcmII

Posted October 23, 2008 - 04:02 PM

check out this link. They offer a 400 to 426 with a bore change or 400 to 440 option with a bore and stroke change.

I was looking into this and didn't finish the research. I was thinking that if you only wanted to go to 426 you could buy a 426 jug and and a proper oversize piston for the 400, you might be able to do this without the crank/rod change. Maybe some else knows if the piston is availabe. This could save some cash.

http://www.powroll.c...A_YZFWR426F.htm

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 23, 2008 - 05:17 PM

thanks. could you use a 450 jug, piston and crank in a 400?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted October 24, 2008 - 01:08 PM

Yes you can because I've done it 4yrs and 5000 miles ago. Wiseco carries the piston 13.5 to 1. Stock is 12.5 to 1. I'm using a stock 400 head, crank and carb. Runs on pump gas all day long and man is it tons more powerful. I bought a stock WR 426 jug off of E-bay for $50.00 in great shape no boring needed. Jetting was nothing to figure out.

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 26, 2008 - 04:57 AM

oh, so wiseco makes a 400 piston that will fit in the 426 bore sleeve? im a wiseco dealer so yay!

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 26, 2008 - 05:08 AM

OK, i just checked out my wiseco catalog

I see they make a 13.5:1 400 piston and 426 piston.

Could I buy a 426 or 450 jug(same 95mm bore), buy the correct piston and bolt it up?

Do all years use the same wrist pin size? I heard there is a cutoff year, but wanted to verify.

can you run 13.5:1 on premium?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.