Differencs between WR450 and YZ450?

7 replies to this topic
  • Choryoth

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:58 AM

Just curious what the differences are between them...

I know the WR450 is electric start, has lights and tach for street, different suspension, rear tire to name a few.

My main question is are the frames / swingarms the same or different? Is the motor/gearing much different?

I am looking to convert one into a GP bike. The advantage (as I see) of the WR would be titling, if I wanted to do any street riding with it.

Thanks for all the input,
Andrew

• buzzfin

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:16 AM

The WR has:
E-Start
Headlight / Tail light
Heavier flywheel
Kick stand
18 inch rear wheel (YZ has 19)
Wider spread transmission gearing
Softer suspension for trail riding
WR has different ignition timing but can be matched to the YZ by doing the "gray wire" mod.

• Choryoth

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:44 AM

When you say that the transmission is wide spread....

More top end / lack of low end?

Is the timing more advanced on the WR450 or retarded? I would assume retarded because of 'street use' and reliability.

Thanks again,
Andrew

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2008 - 10:04 AM

The WR trans has both a lower first gear, and a higher 5th gear.

Other differences include:
Engine:
Cam timing (milder on WR's)
Ignition advance curve (less aggressive on WR's)
Late WR's have a jet needle that cannot be adjusted (it can be replaced)
Late WR's have an Air Injection System
Exhaust sytem
Air box
An '06 YZ450 produces roughly 49-50 RWHP, where as an '06 WR produces about 10 less than that. The WR engine operates smoothly at lower speeds, while the YZ doesn't care for working below 4000 very much, and can be prone to stalling.

Electricals:
YZ; AC for ignition only. Aftermarket max output 55w AC/30-35w DC for lights. Cannot be easily converted to WR generator
WR; AC/DC system. Max aftermarket output in excess of 110w DC at idle.

Suspension:
YZ; twin chamber KYB forks on '05 and '06+ models. 48mm open bath KYB on '04
WR; 48mm open bath KYB on '04+
Shocks on YZ's are generally heavier and longer
Valving on YZ's is stiffer

Wheels:
YZ; 19" rear
WR; 18" rear

Gas tank and Shrouds, radiators (larger on WR), seats are also different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted October 30, 2008 - 10:39 PM

I have also read that the frames have different geometries (rake, trail, etc.)

• Demo_Slug

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:55 PM

The advantage (as I see) of the WR would be titling, if I wanted to do any street riding with it.

Thanks for all the input,
Andrew

the WR450 is not any more street legal then a yz. you'll need a dual sport kit to make either of them legal.

• condor74

Posted November 02, 2008 - 12:03 AM

Maybe they have a street legal WR 450 in Michigan. I know I was down at the Yamaha dealership and they had a WR 250 that was street legal. It is a completely different bike than the WR 250 off road only bike.

• Demo_Slug

Posted November 03, 2008 - 09:59 AM

Maybe they have a street legal WR 450 in Michigan. I know I was down at the Yamaha dealership and they had a WR 250 that was street legal. It is a completely different bike than the WR 250 off road only bike.

the WR250R and WR250X are 100% different bike then the WR250F.

I get the “is that a dual sport” all the time on my WR. Drives me nuts.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.