Carb bowl screws

9 replies to this topic
  • c9buff

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:58 AM

I took the bowl off the carb and in the process mangled the heads on the phillips head screws. Seems everyone has this problem that I talked to.

Anyone know if there are replacements that would do a better job.

buff

• matt4x4

Posted October 22, 2008 - 04:28 AM

you need a special japanese Spec#2 philips screwdriver for them!
(No, I'm not pulling your leg...)
http://www.amessuppl...=DE&fid=1404070

• buggs bunny

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:05 AM

just take your mangled screw to the local hadrware store or motor cycle shop and match the thread size and leangth with allen head screws.they take alot more abuse than a phillip head screw.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:32 AM

The allen head screws you find on the top of the carb are a perfect replacement for those brass like screws. So I ordered 4 of those allen head screws from my dealer. I only got 3 so I notched the remaining phillips type screw with a hacksaw so at least I can get it on and off with a slotted screw driver.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:45 AM

just take your mangled screw to the local hadrware store or motor cycle shop and match the thread size and leangth with allen head screws.they take alot more abuse than a phillip head screw.

This is the best way to fix the problem....however yamaha finally figured it out with their 07+ bikes as they already come with allen bolts:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:03 AM

I always replace the phillips with allen button tops. On everything. If I unscrew it with a Philips I replace it. ALWAYS!

• c9buff

Posted October 22, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hey drtbk,

Are those the allens that hold the top cover on that gives access to the needle?

Thanks for the info,

buff

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hey drtbk,

Are those the allens that hold the top cover on that gives access to the needle?

Thanks for the info,

buff

those would be the ones!

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 23, 2008 - 06:44 AM

those would be the ones!

Yep, those are the ones. I couldn't find any at the hardware store nor the bolt supply warehouse. That is why I had to order them from Yamaha.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 23, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Yep, those are the ones. I couldn't find any at the hardware store nor the bolt supply warehouse. That is why I had to order them from Yamaha.

i think my dad found them at home depot but none the less ordering the oem ones are still cheap and well worth it:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.