WR400 '99 swingarm in a wr400 '98 frame?

3 replies to this topic
  • KevB

Posted October 21, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hi all TT'ers

I am hoping for a quick answer to this one. For various reasons (don't ask...:lol: ) I need to replace my swingarm on my '98 wr400 (Euro spec) and I have bought one off EBay that is from a '99 wr400 (going cheap). At first glance most of the dimensions look similar enough to just bolt it on, but the "collar" where the thrust bearing operates on my old swingarm is a different shape on the '99 part. The '98 swingarm has "5DH" on it and the '99 one has "5ET" on it, which I assume relate to the original part numbers of 5DH-22110-00 and 5ET-22110-00 respectively.

Can anyone say what mod's are necessary for me to use this swingarm, and whether the AllBalls kit (28-1076) I bought to install (for my '98 swingarm) will have compatible bearings to the Kit I assume would work for the '99 swingarm (28-1073)... or do I need to swap the 28-1076 kit for the 28-1073 kit to make this work?

Thanks in advance...
Kevin
UK

• matt4x4

Posted October 22, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Ok, Swingarm should fit no problem because the frame didn't change at all, however, you will likely need different bearings kits (00-02) because the seals and spacers are different to acomodate the swingarm design change (I believe bearings are still the same but all other parts aren't - but I could be wrong on that).
I think the relay arm and connecting rod will also work - slight change in the relay arm, but the width where it connects to the swingarm is the same.

Since you've already bought it - I would just try it all - shouldn't be any real big issues - maybe the dealer will allow you to exchange the bearings for the swingarm for the right ones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KevB

Posted October 22, 2008 - 01:29 PM

Since you've already bought it - I would just try it all - shouldn't be any real big issues - maybe the dealer will allow you to exchange the bearings for the swingarm for the right ones.

I contacted the dealer who sold me the kit and that's exactly what they've recommended. They'll do a swap of the kit at no charge and they confirmed that the swingarm should be ok. I also found the Parts Fiche on a Yamaha Motor website for both models and can confirm the bearings are identical, but the '98 model uses thrust bearings and the '99-00 one doesn't, so the kit is different. I will check for the relay link too, but I have two of these so my just use my old one.

Thanks for your reply Matt

• KevB

Posted October 31, 2008 - 07:35 AM

For the record it turns out I need to change the rear brake caliper too, the '98 one does not fit on to the "spline" on the inside of the '99 swingarm... I found that the Mexican Yamaha website has all the Parts Fiches available as PDF for download :lol: has helped match up parts by part number...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.