YZ250F Overheating

7 replies to this topic
  • Kyle_E

Posted 12 January 2003 - 06:41 PM

I am going to be looking at a friend's 01 250F tomorrow because it is overheating. Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem, if it is common and what might cause it. Obviously I will check fluid level, water pump, radiator cap, hoses, etc., but was wondering if anyone else has had an overheating problem that wasn't so easy to find and where I should start. Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2003YZ250FRACER

Posted 12 January 2003 - 07:31 PM

Is he letting it idle for awhile before it over heats? Is there foam coming out of teh vent hose? Mine over heats easily if it idles to long with out air going thorugh the radiator. If that is the case then don't worry about it and tell him to quit letting it idel so long.

• c&b

Posted 12 January 2003 - 07:34 PM

When does it overheat? At very low speed or high speed and under load? You should find the problem with one of the items you have listed.

• hutch

Posted 12 January 2003 - 08:38 PM

Does your friend run any type of radiator guards? I've heard of these causing the bike to overheat.Has anyone else heard this?

• Kyle_E

Posted 13 January 2003 - 06:20 AM

He does like to let it idle for about five minutes to warm up before he starts to ride. He does not use radiator guards. He told me that it overheated the other day while it was warming up, cooled down when he started to ride and then overheated when he stopped for about three minutes while talking to a friend who just ate it. I imagine he is letting it idle to long and has lost some fluid along the way, a little bit at a time which has finally caught up to him and presenting itself as overheating now. If he tops his radiators back up and shuts his bike down when he is not riding I think this should take care of it. I have to wonder though if he has done any other damage internally. He's the kind of guy that can ride like a Carmichael but has the mechanic ability of Homer Smith. He should have got a factory ride cause staring at a bike scratching your head won't fix it. Anyways if I find it is something more than the usual I will definately post it. I can't imagine too many people are having overheating problems because I couldn't find one previous post addressing it, even with an extensive search. Thanks again everyone.

• james_b

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:15 PM

He's letting it idle to long without air moving over the radiators. It's not an automobile, it has to have air moving or she'll boil. :)

• mike_dean

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:30 PM

Also, don't overfill the radiator, it needs to expand, keep it a 1/2" downwhen cold. Mike

• 02yz250f

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:05 AM

I have a 02 250f and my bike kept spittin out water.. i was puzzled. then someone told me that it had a blown head gasket. If you buddys bike is doin it while he is ridin it it more than likely has a blown head gasket. What is happenin is the combustion is seapin by the gasket and gettin into hte water system and combustin and causin the water system to pressrize.. It might not be the problem but could very well be.. If it does it while he is ridin it take it apart and take a look at it. Im only 16 and i took mine apart and put one back in easy job. Good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.