Swing arm removal

7 replies to this topic
  • CheYuen

Posted October 21, 2008 - 10:28 AM

I went to remove my swing arm on my '05 WR and couldn't get the nut on the right side of the swing arm to budge one bit! I was using a long breaker bar and quite a bit of force. I stopped because I didn't want to break something off inside the hole in the swing arm. Are the threads reversed? Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to muscle it more? :lol:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 21, 2008 - 11:25 AM

No reverse threads....

Try penetrating oil and an impact gun.

• CheYuen

Posted October 21, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Thanks SJMC DON. I'll get out the penetrating oil and elbow grease!

• matt4x4

Posted October 22, 2008 - 11:33 AM

impact gun does wonders cracking rusted parts apart.
once you reassemble - put anti seize on the parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • starfish

Posted October 22, 2008 - 11:39 AM

Heat!! Impact it, after heating it

• CheYuen

Posted November 09, 2008 - 06:49 PM

I got it off! Thanks for all of your input. I don't have an impact wrench and couldn't find the penetrating oil, so I got a longer breaker bar and yanked the crap out of it. I impacted it myself . . . almost impacting my face on the garage floor . . . but in the end I won and the nut lost.

Thanks again guys

• jhmotard

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:23 PM

mind over matter duuuuuuuuuuuude

• doctorchopper

Posted November 11, 2008 - 12:09 AM

just remember to put anti sieze or at least grease on the threads and torque the nuts to the proper value, obviously some one never done this the last time it was off, if it's never been off you can gaurantie that the factory never put anti sieze on the threads, they never do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.