2 stroke break in and synthetic oil?

7 replies to this topic
  • Crazyced

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:10 AM

I will soon have my CR250 engine back from getting ported (case, cylinder, head) and rebuilt (hotrod crank, bearings, wiseco piston) and was wondering if I could use my regular oil for the break in cycles. :lol:

The guy that did the porting don't see a problem with it and me neither. But I want some other opinions.

I use Redline Synthetic racing 2 stroke oil and love it.

• alfenator

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:31 AM

go for it no problems

• Sheriff245

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:32 AM

That's a great oil you are using. The best I've tried. I suppose you are asking this because of what's written on the bottle? Their reasoning is, their oil il so effective at lowering friction that the rings might not seat properly.

I have used it for break in and the bike seemed to take it well. I just let the bike warm up a little bit (very important if you are putting a Wiseco piston in), then ride it hard.

• Crazyced

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:48 AM

That's a great oil you are using. The best I've tried. I suppose you are asking this because of what's written on the bottle? Their reasoning is, their oil il so effective at lowering friction that the rings might not seat properly.

I have used it for break in and the bike seemed to take it well. I just let the bike warm up a little bit (very important if you are putting a Wiseco piston in), then ride it hard.

Is it just me or that oil (smoke) smells so good! :p Very nice product. :lol:

BTW, I always warm up my bikes untill I can't keep the back of my fingers on the rad before riding. :lol:

• clintallac

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:09 PM

redline does smell good i have used it a few times and is probably one of my favorites smells good runs good and crisp can't complain mix at 32to1 with 94 chevron works good!!!!

• aakmetz

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:11 PM

did mine on syn no problems, mobil 1 2t though.

• shrubitup

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Oddly enough, a new cylinder and piston are recommended by Yamaha to be run with one full tank of gas on 15:1 for break in on a YZ250. The question remains, if it's good for running the bike at break in, why do you (Yamaha) then recommend that I use 30:1 for normal non-break in rides thereafter??? :thumbsup:

32:1 and be done.

• Fixitguy74

Posted January 15, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Oddly enough, a new cylinder and piston are recommended by Yamaha to be run with one full tank of gas on 15:1 for break in on a YZ250. The question remains, if it's good for running the bike at break in, why do you (Yamaha) then recommend that I use 30:1 for normal non-break in rides thereafter??? :thumbsup:

32:1 and be done.

The extra oil is there to cushion the parts as the high spots on the piston and rings wear off to conform to the cylinder and seal better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Building a Dirt Bike by htimsrolyat

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2013 by Juman5

Yamaha WR450F 2013
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by jasonl20069
  • On July 19, 2014
Forums
Photo

2 Stroke Enduro for street use/light trail riding? by kershaw

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First bike suggestions by Bullock93

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.