Where do I belong?

10 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted October 21, 2008 - 03:16 AM

Hey YZ forum peeps! I just recently sold my '02 YZ426 and picked up a, well.......here's the problem.

It's a bike I bought from a memeber here, NCmountainman and it's not exactly all YZ. It's actually an '05 YZ motor stuck in an '06 WR frame. Came with a Rekluse and big-bore 488 kit. I'm calling it my WR490 but if it's okay with you guys I'd like to stay here in the YZ forum cuz that's where I feel all good inside. :D

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2008 - 05:50 AM

I think NCMM used to call that his WRZ, or something like that. Maybe it should a WxYZ. Whatever. You and it are both welcome here as far as I'm concerned. Just be sure to focus on what parts are really WR and which are YZ, so the discussions don't get crossed up. If it were up to me, there would be another, hybrid model sandwiched between the two, built for desert racing.

• NorCal

Posted October 21, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hey YZ forum peeps! I just recently sold my '02 YZ426 and picked up a, well.......here's the problem.

It's a bike I bought from a memeber here, NCmountainman and it's not exactly all YZ. It's actually an '05 YZ motor stuck in an '06 WR frame. Came with a Rekluse and big-bore 488 kit. I'm calling it my WR490 but if it's okay with you guys I'd like to stay here in the YZ forum cuz that's where I feel all good inside. :p

Posted Image

Looks like a badass bike. Even if I get a different make/model, I think I'll still be
PM'ing Gray every once in a while because he is the most ridiculously knowledgeable
guy I know.:lol:

• clutchless

Posted October 21, 2008 - 09:47 AM

NCMountain Man has been helping people on this forum for as long as i can remember.

that is one bad ass bike.

I agree with Gray.

Yami needs to make a Desert Bike.

Pre Wired for 110W light (no light just the wiring to hook up dual 8" 55W BajaDesigns Lights), electric start, 18" rear wheel, YZ Suspension, YZ Engine/Tranny (i like the yz tranny), 2.8 Gallon tank with reserve petcock, and a softer seat.

POW!

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2008 - 10:49 AM

Yami needs to make a Desert Bike.

Pre Wired for 110W light (no light just the wiring to hook up dual 8" 55W BajaDesigns Lights), electric start, 18" rear wheel, YZ Suspension, YZ Engine/Tranny (i like the yz tranny), 2.8 Gallon tank with reserve petcock, and a softer seat.

POW!

19" wheel, WR trans, 3.3 gallon tank, and stand up, for crying out loud. :p

I'd like an alternative to the e-start, too. Something that would serve for dead engine starts, like a capacitor, or an air bottle with a break away hose. Anyone ever seen a Coffman? :lol:

Maybe staring with EFI will be better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clutchless

Posted October 21, 2008 - 05:22 PM

19" wheel, WR trans, 3.3 gallon tank, and stand up, for crying out loud. :lol:

yeah but it has to compete in Baja and D 38.

lots of seat time on some of that course.

i picked the 18" wheel because the CRF X has it. WR trans would be better for Baja, and you can get an ims tank.

i always fill my 3.2 up about 3/4 of the way. make sure i can get 75 miles out of it. 2.8 should get you 75 miles.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Difference of opinion. I picked the 19" rear for it's lighter feel and more nimble handling.

2.8 Gallons would have done 75 miles fairly well this last weekend, but it wouldn't have come close on the race they held on 9/21, where they ran backwards over 3 miles of the Nationals loop 2 course. That and blasting up the sand dam 3 times drew down the big tank pretty quickly.

• clutchless

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:25 PM

we rode some of last weeks course on sunday it looked sweet.

Trying to race the next one if i can fit it in and if its not 95 degrees.

total wuss.

Stoked for plaster city west.

• hillclimbguy

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:53 PM

Stay here, I like project bikes.

• Goosedog

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:22 AM

I think NCMM used to call that his WRZ, or something like that. Maybe it should a WxYZ.

Bob called it his WZ488, the Blue Dragon. I call it a WR490, the ultimate woods weapon. :lol:
It breaks down something like this...

YZ parts;
motor/tranny
carb
1/2 the plastics

WR parts;
frame
other 1/2 of the plastics
tank
suspension
wheels

Aftermarket;
top-end
auto clutch
carb (Zip-ty mod)
ignition
radiators (1 1/2" lower than stock)
triples, mounts, bars and bark-busters
steering damper
ti axles and 75% of the fasteners are ti
skid plate
drive-train
case saver and chain guide
ti exhaust
steel braided brake lines
rotors
seat
fuel tank foam balls

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2008 - 04:52 AM

..and the suspension has been rather seriously worked over, too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.