04 yzf450 heavier flywheel

18 replies to this topic
  • xl-one

Posted October 20, 2008 - 09:23 AM

I'm thinking of puting a heavier flywheel on my bkie (wants to stall at low speed) Any reccomendations? The only one I know of is Steahly and they say to use a 10oz one

• devilsslide

Posted October 20, 2008 - 09:28 AM

i used the one that yamaha sells, (should be the only non-stock one available on their website) it's the one that the team guys used i guess... works great!

• KAS

Posted October 20, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Get one, you wont regret it.

Steahly weights are fine!

• eazrider

Posted October 20, 2008 - 11:13 AM

I had one on my '04, loved it. I installed a Rekluse and no longer need it, as the clutch works so well, but the heavier flywheel sure helps with stalling in tighter riding conditions....

I'm thinking of puting a heavier flywheel on my bkie (wants to stall at low speed) Any reccomendations? The only one I know of is Steahly and they say to use a 10oz one

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I recommend the DRD 8 ounce. It is a welded, balanced and ready to install unit that replaces your current flywheel, and at 8 ounces, it provides the same inertia mass as most 11 ounce bolt on weights. This is because 2-4 ounces of the weight of a bolt-on is concentrate in the mounting flange, which is too near center to be effective as added weight.

Either way, a heavier flywheel will improve the overall smoothness and low speed performance in a way that a Rekluse clutch cannot, just as a Rekluse will handle clutch modulation in a way that no flywheel can. They do two different things.

• big t

Posted October 21, 2008 - 11:07 PM

Like Grayracer said go with DRD 8oz. Makes a big difference. I ride my 04 mostly in the woods now and love the it with the flywheel

• KAS

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:58 AM

I recommend the DRD 8 ounce. It is a welded, balanced and ready to install unit that replaces your current flywheel.

I'm sure the Dr. D is a great peice, but I would like to point out that my Steahly unit is also a complete, welded flywheel replacement, not a bolt-on weight.

But then again, that type of Steahly might not be available for an '04?

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2008 - 10:13 AM

I'm sure the Dr. D is a great peice, but I would like to point out that my Steahly unit is also a complete, welded flywheel replacement, not a bolt-on weight.

But then again, that type of Steahly might not be available for an '04?

I think Steahly started making welded assemblies with the '06 models ( I could be wrong) because the "inside out" configuration of these complicated the use of bolted weights.

• older guy

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:04 PM

I think Steahly started making welded assemblies with the '06 models ( I could be wrong) because the "inside out" configuration of these complicated the use of bolted weights.

I have a question for you grayracer513.............I was looking at the MSR 13oz weight in conjunction with the Rekluse "Pro" clutch. I just read your advice on the flywheel weight and will put that on my " read and learn " list.

How do you feel about a good amount of weight AND the Recluse clutch making my 04 450F more managable in the woods? I bought this bike with about 1-2 hours on it for $2200.00 and it doesn't have a mark on it. I was looking for a "woods" bike when I found this and would like to make it a woods/trail bike if it's feasable........ (spelling?)

Any help would be appreciated. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:14 PM

I don't personally care for the concept of an auto clutch like the Rekluse, but I have not spent any time with one, and I'm pretty comfortable with the manual setup.

However, I can still see the benefit in several situations, and I don't see any reason that using both would not be a good thing for those who would like either. They should compliment one another well. As I said, the two items do two different things. The flywheel will make the engine smoother at low speeds, and help resist stalling, while the Rekluse will handle clutch modulation.

• older guy

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for your opinion grayracer513, I appreciate it.

I installed a Rekluse Pro in a customers 04 CRF450 last Friday. First time I have had any dealings with it. I must say I really liked what it did for the slow speed drivability of the bike. I have never had a problem modulating the clutch at low speeds but I think the Rekluse would help a lot of people ride a big bike in the tight stuff that may not have a lot of experience.

Thanks for your opinion on combining the flywheel weight with the auto clutch, I am going to give it a go and will let you know my results.

How can I make this bike turn quicker in the woods? RG Suspension reccomends 23mm offset for the clamps on an 04 but 22mm on the newer 450's. Any reccomendations? What is the stock offset?

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 22, 2008 - 05:13 PM

how about using a wr flywheel? from a similar year bike?

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2008 - 07:19 PM

That can be done with 400's and 426's only, and requires the appropriate stator along with the flywheel, together with some other electrical reworking.

On an '06+ 450, you need the crankshaft and several parts from an '07+ WR, and on an '03-'05 YZ, it simply isn't practical at all.

• mxrayser

Posted October 27, 2008 - 09:50 PM

Will weights take away any low end power? I love massive power, but do have occasional problem with stalling on technical hillclimbs

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:51 AM

Not to a noticeable extent. The reason is that the YZ450 has such an abundance of torque at low speed that it easily overcomes the relatively small extra weight of the flywheel. It's big enough to help smooth out the operation of the engine at low RPM, but not big enough to take a bite out of the power as you perceive it.

Typically, you will notice that the bike seems to pull better and smoother at low speeds, and that it finds traction, even though it still spins up the rear wheel, better than it did. In places where it was prone to rip the tire out of the ground and disconnect, it will show a greater tendency to lift the wheel and move forward, in a hurry.

• flamerail

Posted January 04, 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hi, any updates to this thread. Was hoping to hear how the flywheel effected the YZ.

• BC3

Posted January 04, 2009 - 10:54 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Not familiar with the newer Stealthy flywheels (I have a 12oz Stealthy that has set scews) which I have never been real happy with even though it has never failed I just didn't like the concept...Plus it hides the timing marks and I really hate that.....If I was going to buy a flywheel again I would go with Dr "D" Whatever you decide the flywheel defiantly makes the engine better for trail riding....On my 03 anyway [/COLOR]

• Ridin Dirty

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:30 AM

I have an 04 YZ450 and just installed the 13 oz. Steahly flywheel weight. Installation was a breeze and wow, what a difference. Resistance to stalling is night and day compared to stock, and the bike hooks up a lot better accelerating from low RPM. I was worried that the 13 oz. was too much weight, but the engine handles it well. When it revs into the meat of the power band, you can't really tell the weight is there.

The only hiccup came when removing the stock flywheel bolt. You have to restrain the motor from rotation as you remove the bolt (normal thread). I did it by lodging a crescent wrench between the the chainwheel and the swingarm, preventing the rear tire from rotating. There must be a more elegant way though...:thinking:

• tdamore

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:39 AM

I have an 04 YZ450 and just installed the 13 oz. Steahly flywheel weight. Installation was a breeze and wow, what a difference. Resistance to stalling is night and day compared to stock, and the bike hooks up a lot better accelerating from low RPM. I was worried that the 13 oz. was too much weight, but the engine handles it well. When it revs into the meat of the power band, you can't really tell the weight is there.

The only hiccup came when removing the stock flywheel bolt. You have to restrain the motor from rotation as you remove the bolt (normal thread). I did it by lodging a crescent wrench between the the chainwheel and the swingarm, preventing the rear tire from rotating. There must be a more elegant way though...:thinking:

I have the 10 oz. Steahly on my 03' 450 and it did wonders for the stalling and flameouts in tight singe track. It is a complete flywheel, not a set of bolt on weights. I just used an air impact and the motion pro flywheel tool and I had it installed in about 15 minutes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.