Easy water pump and countershaft seal replacement!

46 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted April 22, 2011 - 03:54 PM

Grayracer - thanks for the tips. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the OP went straight onto countershaft seal removal in the opening page.

066logger - advice on removing the collar was a couple of pages earlier. Think it was tribalbc who mentioned removing the seal makes the collar pop out as well, or something like that. Might have to go back a couple of pages.

Just picked up parts this morning. Glad they had them in stock, as got a ride this afternoon. Thanks to all for their help.

• WRF Woods Weapon

Posted April 22, 2011 - 04:14 PM

Nice do it yourself tips with pix, yet to put that 1000km on the clock.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Use a plastic mallet, or place a block of wood over the end of the output shaft and give it a little rap or two inward to break the bond the O-ring has on the collar. Then grab it with a pair of pliers and twist and wiggle it off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 066logger

Posted April 23, 2011 - 08:40 AM

sweet. i just didnt want to get too agressive till i was exactly sure what to do :thumbsup:

• 066logger

Posted April 23, 2011 - 11:58 AM

yes finally got it!!! after tapping on the shaft for a while and using some pb blaster on it and still no luck i noticed the bushing has groves on the backside. so i bent a piece of wire just right to catch the groves and pulled it right out :thumbsup::banana:

• juntini

Posted April 29, 2011 - 03:49 PM

I have a question. In the manual it states to put some lithium based grease on the new seal prior to installing. Question is, do you put grease on the outer edge of the seal ( as indicated in the manual) and on the inner edge that goes against the impeller shaft?

• resinlips

Posted May 01, 2011 - 02:00 PM

I just replaced my outer seal and it did the trick. After buttoning it back up, re-filling the coolant, and running the bike I found a pin on the ground.

I don't see any reason not to run the bike with one missing dowel on the pump cover. With one pin in place and the 4 bolts, there is no way the pump cover is going anywhere. I'm feeling lazy and not motivated to drain the coolant again.

Any thoughts?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.