2002 YZ426 crankcase cover damage?

4 replies to this topic
  • KD123

Posted October 19, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I removed the right crankcase cover of my 2002 YZ426 to replace the water pump impeller shaft (impeller would not unscrew). I noticed that along the top inside rim of the cover there was what appeared to be a machined groove, or more of a band of metal that was machined off. I assume this was caused by the clutch. I'm the second owner, and have no idea if the clutch has been replaced and perhaps installed improperly. The machined area looks to be about 4" long x 1" wide. Has anyone ever seen this type of thing? Thanks for your help. I've never tried to attach urls to images, but the urls are as follows:

http://tinypic.com/v...pic=25gzbiu&s=4

A close-up of the area of damage is at:

http://tinypic.com/v...pic=34e280z&s=4

The "machined" area is silver, and the normal areas are darker grey.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2008 - 05:56 AM

That looks like it was done at the time of manufacture. Cast cases are often fly cut like this for additional clearance. These are made in permanent molds, several at a time, and it's just more cost effective to correct the ones that need it, rather than scrapping an entire set of molds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chadta

Posted October 20, 2008 - 02:55 PM

my case is like that too, i wondered if maybe the clutch was rubbing or something, but it dosent make any noise, no shavings in the oil, so i havent worried about it too much

• fritzelman

Posted October 21, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Mines got it too, and no problems.

• KD123

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hi Guys,

I sincerely for your replies. This forum is great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.