Oil drain bolt, possibly over-torqued...

3 replies to this topic
  • DangerRanger245

Posted October 19, 2008 - 05:56 PM

Today while changing my oil on my 06 450f I did a dumb thing.

I had my torque wrench set to 20 NM, tightened up the two lower drain bolts, and went to the third one on the oil filter cover, and after an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn after it got stiff, I realized i still had the torque wrench on the wrong setting.

I screwed it out, and screwed it back in by hand, and torqued it down to spec. It seemed to grab just fine.

So I overtorqued it by maybe a 1/4 turn, it doesnt leak even after a quick ride around the block, it should be fine, right?

• KWJams

Posted October 19, 2008 - 05:59 PM

The risk is to pull the threads out of the hole. Sounds like you caught it in time and should be ok.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DangerRanger245

Posted October 19, 2008 - 06:02 PM

Yeah I know that one. I looked closely at the bolt when I pulled it, and didnt see any fragments of threads.

I'm just paranoid, this is the first real possible issue on this bike.

• Justin89

Posted October 19, 2008 - 07:17 PM

Yeah I know that one. I looked closely at the bolt when I pulled it, and didnt see any fragments of threads.

I'm just paranoid, this is the first real possible issue on this bike.

I would much rather have it be the oil filter bold than the drain bolt. When I first bought one of my yzfs, the magnetic drain bolt was stripped and ended up breaking inside the case...that was fun:banghead: Anyways, I think you will be fine

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.