Hows Your YZ450F ?

28 replies to this topic
  • CyclePro

Posted October 21, 2008 - 08:03 AM

I have an '03 YZ450 and it has been very, very reliable. I change the oil and clean the air filter regularly, like every ride. Still has the origional valve shims! I check them regularly, just to be sure be sure.
Of my friends that insist on riding red, they are on their 2nd and some 3rd top end. Although I must admit, the Honda will out turn the Yamaha. The Yam is more stable. Once you get used to the way the Yamaha handles, it's a non-issue.

• scspencer

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:05 PM

yeah im not that worried about getting my dad a bike that will turn really well becasue he wont go fast enought or turn sharpe enough to ever know. He is a laid back rider and im starting to lean tword yamaha after this talk about never adjusting your valves

• hillclimbguy

Posted October 21, 2008 - 06:52 PM

I've had my 06 since brand new. Checked the valves once. What a bike. I agree they turn very well. I kind of steer with the rear brake. But love the bike. Keep doing the oil changes often and just ride it.
I have a smoker for the tight trails, but love the thumper for hillclimbing and long rides.
If you want to work on a bike all the time get the CRF450 and lots of intake valves. This is what I went through with my Honda(Now Gone Forever).

• Andrew Brannon

Posted October 21, 2008 - 07:44 PM

i have an 06 and love it except when a turn is coming up!!! the front end never feels planted to the ground in the corners for me. ive ridden rmz250fs and crf450 and almost came in my pants after seeing how well and how much stability they have in the corners. they somewhat fixed the problem for 08+ models so id recommend no older than 08 if you wanna ride mx tracks aggressively

:lol: yeah I feel the same way, my 06 feels good at times and at other times I'm on the ground with no warning. I see Dunlop is making a 4 stroke specific 90/100-21 742FA. Has anyone with an 06 YZ450 or any other year tried this tire? I believe it is a little wider than 80/100-21...

Thanks,
Andy...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2008 - 07:52 PM

As for 90/100x21's in general, they seem to work better on hard surfaces than on intermediate and soft. Some love 'em, some....don't. They don't suit my needs.

As far as the 742FA in particular, it works really well in a very narrow range of loamy, soft/intermediate soil, but not very well at all anywhere else. I was astounded by how badly it worked in sand.

• PLrider

Posted October 21, 2008 - 09:43 PM

I couldn't agree more with the reliability of the Yamaha's.
I had an 02 YZ426 that never gave me any trouble and now an 08 YZ450 and love it! All of my buddies who ride red wrench on their bikes constantly and they're always in the shop it seems! And no, 4 strokes are not a pain in the ass to keep running (as long as it's a Yamaha!). Regular maintenance and yer good to go! Depending on how much riding your Dad does, he'll probably really like a WR450 with electric start. My buddy loves his.
Have fun!:lol:

12 hours on my new baby :p
http://i450.photobuc...os/08YZ450F.jpg

• tcuda499

Posted October 23, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Man I'm glad i went with a Yammie!!!It was between an 05 crf 450 and my 07 yz450.I seemed to like the way the yz felt. Felt lighter and and more balanced than the crf,and I' a BIG Honda fan.My last 3 bikes where all CR's.I did here that the Yammies where more reliable and that help my decesion even though the crf felt a little stronger on the bottem.

• Family Man

Posted October 23, 2008 - 08:32 PM

try a 50 tooth rear sprockete, more bottom.

• Justin89

Posted October 23, 2008 - 10:12 PM

try a 50 tooth rear sprockete, more bottom.

x2:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.