Hows Your YZ450F ?

28 replies to this topic
  • scspencer

Posted October 19, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Howdy everybody, I currently have a yz250 2 stroke and am looking at getting a 450 four stroke. I love my yz250 I have never had any problems with it and it is pretty easy to take care of. I have never owned a 4 stroke and am kinda scared. I have been told they are a pain in the ass to keep running. The bike would be for my dad and he does not ride very hard and only rides about 2-3 times a month. How often do you jsut adjust your valves and is it easy to do? And the final question, Honda or Yamaha? Thanks guys! :D

• Justin89

Posted October 19, 2008 - 03:51 PM

How often do you jsut adjust your valves and is it easy to do? And the final question, Honda or Yamaha? Thanks guys! :ride:

:ride: Adjusting valves:lol: Yamaha for sure if you want the reliability, sickness, sweetness, next AMA championship winning bike, best bang for your buck bike. If you like the maintenance shop, get the Honda.:D :worthy:

• scspencer

Posted October 19, 2008 - 03:54 PM

Haha that what I have been thinking too. My dad wants a honda for some reason.

• husqy360

Posted October 19, 2008 - 04:03 PM

my 06 have about 150 hours on it, its just geting better and better.
i never adjusted the valves cuz they always stay in spec.
just change the oil, oil filter and air filter and you will be set for long time.
i change oil every 3 hours, or if oil start to change color, air filter every ride.

i like my 450 so much better then any 250 i ever ride.

• scspencer

Posted October 19, 2008 - 04:31 PM

thank husqy. I am just hearing a ton of differnt things about valves

• Justin89

Posted October 19, 2008 - 04:49 PM

I have had my top-end done ONCE since I bought my bike new in 2006. I had well over 200+ track/race hrs on it before then. Zero trail riding hours etc. I have never had to adjust my valves since I got it either. I just keep up with religious oil changes along with air filter/oil filter changes ^. However, my bike does go through sprockets and rear tires like packs of Tropical Fruit Bubbleicious:banana: :smirk:JK. I get awesome deals on them so I dont mine changing them often. good luck!:D

• bansheeater1

Posted October 19, 2008 - 04:51 PM

:ride: Adjusting valves:lol: Yamaha for sure if you want the reliability, sickness, sweetness, next AMA championship winning bike, best bang for your buck bike. If you like the maintenance shop, get the Honda.:D :ride:

Second that..I absolutely love my yamaha. I would never get anything different :worthy:

• scspencer

Posted October 19, 2008 - 05:21 PM

alright thanks guys! its starting to sound liek as long as you keep the air filter clean and the oil changed they are good to go

• husqy360

Posted October 19, 2008 - 05:59 PM

precisely.
im on second chain tires and seals which just blow again yestarday.
engine is a master pic.
i dont ride my bike on high revs for to long, help for the valves 2

• Dan_187

Posted October 19, 2008 - 07:16 PM

i have an 06 and love it except when a turn is coming up!!! the front end never feels planted to the ground in the corners for me. ive ridden rmz250fs and crf450 and almost came in my pants after seeing how well and how much stability they have in the corners. they somewhat fixed the problem for 08+ models so id recommend no older than 08 if you wanna ride mx tracks aggressively

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mariop

Posted October 19, 2008 - 07:24 PM

I have an 05 Honda and it turns like sh@$t, seems to be a common dislike when it comes to Honda. I'm getting some 20 mm triple clamps and supposedly that makes the bikes turn good (so I hear). There's tons of threads on the triple clamps so it seems to confirm that lots of people don't like the turning traits of the Honda's.

• scspencer

Posted October 19, 2008 - 08:03 PM

haha Dan that was too funny. Thanks for all the replies guys keep em cumin (that was for dan)

• Justin89

Posted October 19, 2008 - 09:16 PM

i have an 06 and love it except when a turn is coming up!!! the front end never feels planted to the ground in the corners for me. ive ridden rmz250fs and crf450 and almost came in my pants after seeing how well and how much stability they have in the corners. they somewhat fixed the problem for 08+ models so id recommend no older than 08 if you wanna ride mx tracks aggressively

TO author and Dan_187:
Dude, a couple things here. Im not trying to start a honda vs. yamaha thing here so lets :worthy: Anyways, have you messed with you rear sag at all. I know everyone says this but it makes a tremendous improvement in handling. Also, try getting a set of clamps with a different off set. I run 22mm RG3s on mine and wow did they help. I also know slinkeyman on here got some PC 22.5 mm clamps for his bike and he said it helped a lot too. Also, front tire choice is crtical too. I have found great success with the 742FA...however some people hate it and like the 756. I also found success with the Renthal Twinwall handlebars...they helped a great deal as well. All these things greatly improve the handle on the 06-07 bikes, They dont completely fix it but WOW does it improve it. I wil be happy to let you ride my 06 if you're ever in the Nor Cal and see if you change your mind.:ride: :D

• madtaff

Posted October 20, 2008 - 11:32 AM

had a 450 yam for five months appart from headshake flat out in top gear with 14/51 gearing dropped forks down in clamps cured headshake and turns a lot more possitive once you get over initial weight differance all round geat bike

• Dan_187

Posted October 20, 2008 - 07:01 PM

TO author and Dan_187:
Dude, a couple things here. Im not trying to start a honda vs. yamaha thing here so lets :worthy: Anyways, have you messed with you rear sag at all. I know everyone says this but it makes a tremendous improvement in handling. Also, try getting a set of clamps with a different off set. I run 22mm RG3s on mine and wow did they help. I also know slinkeyman on here got some PC 22.5 mm clamps for his bike and he said it helped a lot too. Also, front tire choice is crtical too. I have found great success with the 742FA...however some people hate it and like the 756. I also found success with the Renthal Twinwall handlebars...they helped a great deal as well. All these things greatly improve the handle on the 06-07 bikes, They dont completely fix it but WOW does it improve it. I wil be happy to let you ride my 06 if you're ever in the Nor Cal and see if you change your mind.:ride: :D

ya i run my sag at 98mm and slid the forks up to the 1st line in the clamps. ive read in MXA that different offsets dont fix the problem completely. so i dont want to spend like $500 on em. it feels like front end of the frame is too stiff and it doesnt want to flex enough in corners to keep the front tire on the ground. i absolutely LOVE every other part of my bike, but the cornering irritates the hell outta me

• Justin89

Posted October 20, 2008 - 07:08 PM

ya i run my sag at 98mm and slid the forks up to the 1st line in the clamps. ive read in MXA that different offsets dont fix the problem completely. so i dont want to spend like $500 on em. it feels like front end of the frame is too stiff and it doesnt want to flex enough in corners to keep the front tire on the ground. i absolutely LOVE every other part of my bike, but the cornering irritates the hell outta me

Ya I feel ya on the clamps...

• siscokid7

Posted October 20, 2008 - 09:09 PM

I just wanna add that for my first "big boy bike" I coudnt be happier with my yamaha. I was nervous at first about the cornering issues but I took alot of advice from this forum(thanks grayracer:thumbsup: ) and setting the sag along with the offset clamps helped tremendously. If you plan on riding fast at all those two upgrades alone are worth 3 seconds a lap. Also if you plan on getting an 08 or 09 junk the stock can and get a real exhaust. :D

• endurodog

Posted October 20, 2008 - 09:25 PM

I have an 06 2 smoke Yamaha 250 that I use for the woods and an 08 YZF450 for the MX track. I love both bikes for what they are set up for. I would think the YZF450 would be a bit better for the open desert for your dad.

I had an 05 CRF450 Honda and it kept me very busy at the shop getting parts and work done on it. I have had my YZF450 for 1 year now. I ride it about 4 times a month and the valves are still in spec, my Honda required multiple adjustments.

Hope this info helps

• YamaLink

Posted October 21, 2008 - 07:05 AM

I know people with CRF450R's who never have issues with valves....but they are few and far between. I know people with valve issues on YZ450F's, but they too are few and far between.

The 09 CRF450R is a fantastic bike, blows all previous years out of the water in more ways than marketing hype. How the valves will hold up remains to be seen.

The YZF is like your YZ two stroke. It just plain works. Nothing stands out as over the top mind blowing, and often times in riding that is as close to perfect as you can get because that means everything is working in sync.

As a new 4 stroke owner just make sure to change the oil often (I go about 300 miles), clean the air filter and don't ride the rev limiter all day long. You'll be just fine!

Howdy everybody, I currently have a yz250 2 stroke and am looking at getting a 450 four stroke. I love my yz250 I have never had any problems with it and it is pretty easy to take care of. I have never owned a 4 stroke and am kinda scared. I have been told they are a pain in the ass to keep running. The bike would be for my dad and he does not ride very hard and only rides about 2-3 times a month. How often do you jsut adjust your valves and is it easy to do? And the final question, Honda or Yamaha? Thanks guys! :lol:

• kain522

Posted October 21, 2008 - 07:24 AM

Tell your dad to go blue and he will never regret it. I have never done anything but basic maint to my 04 and it runs like a champ. I haven't had any of the turning issues that some others talk about, but it may be that at 235 lbs I have enough mass (lard) to make it stick. Anyway, I love the bike, and in a couple years I may upgrade to the aluminum frame. Never rode one, but others in this forum swear by them.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.