tuning my wr suspension

4 replies to this topic
  • Vinny2692

Posted October 19, 2008 - 01:45 PM

hey, i need some help tuning my 04' wr's suspension. It seems to need alot done. I like to do some motocross with it, but at the moment i dont have the money for a suspension upgrade. My bike tends to have excessive understeer, and of course it tends to bottom out harshly over jumps. Im thinking about adding more rebound for the understeer, and stiffening the compression on the front and back, does this sound right or am i way off?? i heard someone say that it is okay to simply turn my compression clickers all the way in for motocross, is this acceptable? or will it just be way too stiff? and help would be much apreciated :D

• dazzabb

Posted October 20, 2008 - 01:44 AM

Vinny,

You need to get your sag measurements first, if your springs are too soft or too hard for your body weight no amount of changing the damping settings will be of much help.

Increasing the oil height in the forks will help reduce bottoming, increase the height 10mm at a time and see it feels.

Comp and rebd changes will help how it feels right now, but without the correct springs you'll never be happy with it.

You can try going to full comp on the forks - test it and see if its better or worse, nobody can say it will be too hard if they haven't ridden your bike.

Have you got the top of the forks flush with the yokes or 5? 10mm up thru the yokes.
If flush try moving them up 5mm, then 10mm and test it again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted October 20, 2008 - 07:05 AM

Like the other post said, set your sag. That will pretty much be the foundation for every other suspension related adjustment on your bike.

On a related note, how much do you weigh? Maybe your spring rate is too soft.

hey, i need some help tuning my 04' wr's suspension. It seems to need alot done. I like to do some motocross with it, but at the moment i dont have the money for a suspension upgrade. My bike tends to have excessive understeer, and of course it tends to bottom out harshly over jumps. Im thinking about adding more rebound for the understeer, and stiffening the compression on the front and back, does this sound right or am i way off?? i heard someone say that it is okay to simply turn my compression clickers all the way in for motocross, is this acceptable? or will it just be way too stiff? and help would be much apreciated :D

• Vinny2692

Posted October 20, 2008 - 01:53 PM

alright thanks guys, i do intend on getting new springs this winter. Is it neccessary to revalve as well??

• YamaLink

Posted October 20, 2008 - 02:23 PM

So if you're getting new springs you know the stock spring rate is too soft for you. Okay, now we're rollin'.

No, you don't have to get a revalve. Get the bike sprung properly, set sag and then set the clicks - front and rear, compress and rebound - in the middle. Then work on one clicker on one end until it feels good. Make notes. Then work the other clicker on the same end. Example: now you have the front feeling good.

Do the same with the rear. Remember: making the rear feel good may make the front not feel as great as it did before you went to the other end. Be patient and dial it in. It could take several rides...but that's the fun of it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.