Tailbag, Kriega US-10

Here's some impressions of a nice little bag I'm using on my WR250R.

It's a Kriega US-10.

They make backpacks (aka Rucksacks) that you can expand by adding different modular pieces. This item can either be used as a portion of their backpack system or as a tail bag all by itself. As the name implies, this bag is rated as having 10 liter storage.

I bought this online from RiderWearhouse/AeroStich.

So here's a pic of the bag on my bike. I'm not using any tail rack, just strapped the bag right on. The bag is empty in this photo for reference.

Kriega_empty.jpg

It has 4 straps to secure it.

I looped the front straps around the subframe under the fender and then back up to buckle them.

Kriega_FrontStrap.jpg

I wrapped the rear strap under the fender and back up to buckle into the opposite side.

Kriega_RearStrap.jpg

It's nice and secure.

There are 2 compartments in the bag.

To open the main compartment you unclip 2 buckes on the side (these are buckles to hold the bag closed, not the same ones that hold it on the bike).

Kriega_Buckles.jpg

Here's a view with the buckles open. The end of the bag is ready to unroll to get to the main compartment.

Kriega_BucklesOpen.jpg

Here's where you would load the bag.

Kriega_Loading.jpg

Now for a view with the bag loaded. I could have fit more stuff in there, but this is good enough for demonstration purposes.

Kriega_Loaded.jpg

This thing is absolutely 100% water-freakin-proof. That roll-type closure just will not let water (or mud, or dust) inside.

Here's a demonstration using my garden hose.

Kriega_Waterproof.jpg

Kriega_Waterproof2.jpg

Unloading after rain-test:

Kriega_Unloading.jpg

And here's the view of what was in the bag during the demonstration:

Goggles, 2 pairs of gloves, the stock toolkit (with hard plastic box), a 12 oz can of soda, little snack bag, and my daughters digital camera :D

All nice and dry.

Kriega_WhatsInside.jpg

I didn't have anything in the zipper pocket during the demonstration, but it stayed dry as well. The zipper compartment is smaller, but it's easier to get to if you have something small that you don't want to open the rest of the bag to get it out. I would imagine that it's more likely to leak due to operator error on the zipper so I won't be putting any electronics in there.

Kriega_ZipperPocket.jpg

This is a really well made bag. It's obviously not big enough to carry your helmet, laptop, and a gallon of milk. But it's a really nice size for some odds and ends that you might want to carry along for some trail riding.

Best of luck, and keep on riding...

Copa

ya those bags are sick... in the good way...

we had nearly the full range of demo products from them about half a year ago... and in order to sell them, we tested them...

took the US10 and put some tissue papers in and submerged the bag into a water tank for a good 30 mins...

30 mins later... everything was dry :D

so now... everything was sold....(ps: they are not that cheap)

good stuff :worthy:

• 1 month later...

And here's the view of what was in the bag during the demonstration:

Goggles, 2 pairs of gloves, the stock toolkit (with hard plastic box), a 12 oz can of soda, little snack bag, and my daughters digital camera ?

All nice and dry.

Copa

I'll note again that you used 'my daughters digital camera' for testing purposes... How much padding is in the bag? I'm wondering how well their bags might work for my camera...

Do you think a US20 would fit as well?

If I was going with anything larger than I would definitely want to put it on a rack. That's part of the beauty of this bag. Just strap it down w/ no rack. It's plenty big enough for me. It will hold two half-gallon sized plastic milk bottles.

I'll note again that you used 'my daughters digital camera' for testing purposes... How much padding is in the bag? I'm wondering how well their bags might work for my camera...

I wouldn't say that the bag is padded at all really. If you're going to put something delicate in there then you would want to pad that thing itself inside the bag.

I have a Nikon D70s DSLR. The few times when I have taken that camera with me on the bike I didn't put it in the tail bag... I carried it on my back in my Lowepro Slingshot. Neither is a good solution for riding in nasty conditions... so in those cases you're better off taking a point and shoot camera in a small bag somewhere you can reach (front pocket, attached to chest protector etc).

I ordered one of the US10's yesterday to augment my

Dirtbagz.

Seems like a good solution for more storage room until

I can find a tail rack that is compatible with the Dirtbagz

pannier brackets, then I'll be able to use a US20.

According to the website, you can attach the US10 right onto the US20...cool!

Neither is a good solution for riding in nasty conditions... so in those cases you're better off taking a point and shoot camera in a small bag somewhere you can reach (front pocket, attached to chest protector etc).

Aye, that's why I'm talking to Cycleracks about fabricating a front rack for me. I just can't see being in the middle of nowhere and having 'digital zoom' ?