That Dang Surge is Back

79 replies to this topic
  • greer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

My bike has the DJ kit per Jesse with DJ 155 main, needle in 4th groove, airbox cut out, mixture screw at about 1.5 turns. This pretty much cured the stock surge. Now I've dropped my gearing just a tad with a 16/47/520 combo and seems like the surge is back. I guess it moved me right in the lean spot of the rev range. I don't notice it at fast Interstate speeds, but I sure do here at home. I was wondering about sticking the airbox screen back in. What do you reckon? I like this gearing, by the way.

Sarah

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BSR-1

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

you could raise the needle?

I'm assuming that the surge is between 1/4 & 3/4 throttle.

• 97dr650

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Go up a size on the main jet and raise the needle up one grove,also check the float level:excuseme:Whats the plug look like? .My FCR was surging after 6 months of all kinds of riding(trail,highway),did the above and it all went away.

• ProCycle

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

My bike has the DJ kit per Jesse with DJ 155 main, needle in 4th groove, airbox cut out, mixture screw at about 1.5 turns. This pretty much cured the stock surge. Now I've dropped my gearing just a tad with a 16/47/520 combo and seems like the surge is back. I guess it moved me right in the lean spot of the rev range. I don't notice it at fast Interstate speeds, but I sure do here at home. I was wondering about sticking the airbox screen back in. What do you reckon? I like this gearing, by the way.

Sarah

Maybe just turn the mixture screw out 1/2 turn or so. The surging may be more related to colder weather than anything else.

• greer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

OK, I'll turn the mixture screw out a tad, that'll be easy enough. I don't think it's running rich, the plug looks good and there's not even a smidge of soot in the pipe. Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow and holler back.

Sarah

• BSR-1

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

if it's surging, it's not running rich.

• bignick

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:33 AM

Maybe just turn the mixture screw out 1/2 turn or so. The surging may be more related to colder weather than anything else.

+1
surge is usually caused by a lean condition. You may try putting the screen back in as it will slightly richen things up everywhere throught the range.

Surging below but near half throttle thru midrange, shim or raise needle.

• greer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:00 AM

The mixture screw didn't seem to make much difference so I set it back where it was. I may be nuts, but installing the screen felt like it moved the surge up in the rev range so that I felt it at interstate speeds. I don't know if that's possible or not but it sure seemed like it. I took it back out. I'll either live with it as is or raise the needle and see what happens. Thanks again, everybody.

Sarah

• bgrzdr

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

The mixture screw didn't seem to make much difference so I set it back where it was. I may be nuts, but installing the screen felt like it moved the surge up in the rev range so that I felt it at interstate speeds. I don't know if that's possible or not but it sure seemed like it. I took it back out. I'll either live with it as is or raise the needle and see what happens. Thanks again, everybody.

Sarah

If you are anywhere near sea level, 155DJ is too lean. One size up on main should cure it.

• Wybs

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

My DR has always had some amount of surge if it is run at a steady RPM of around 4500-5000 (especially in 4th gear). Below that RPM it doesn't have the HP to noticibly surge, above that it is winding enough to keep things stabile. My guess is that your new gearing put you in a surging range at your cruising speed. The cold weather cold also make this more noticible. To some point I think the BSR carb is ready to rip or not at that speed, so very small changes in pressure/throttle position kick you from one mode to the other and back

• greer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

Wybs-- Sounds like you hit it dead on.

bgrzdr-- I reckon we're just under 800 ft elevation. I bought my DJ kit cheap from another DR rider, just my luck the 160 main jet is missing.

Sarah

• BSR-1

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

uping the main jet would certainly be the easiest way to remove a lean surge at cruising, if not the most efficient fuel wise.

• 97dr650

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

The surge I was having it would flat cut out and buck at 65-70,at 60 it was steady.

• greer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

BSR-1,

I'd sure rather go the most efficient route. Raising the needle will most likely lower fuel mileage, but not as much as going up on the main jet? Man, these finicky carbs are something. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah

• ProCycle

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hey Sarah,

Since we know you've put thousands of happy miles on your DR with your current jetting it doesn't make sense to me that the jetting would suddenly be wrong. I would look at everything else that might affect it before making a jetting change.

There have been reports of wind turbulence around the carb vent hoses causing some surging. I'd suggest repositioning those vent hoses to get the hose ends out of the wind. While you're at it make sure they're not kinked or plugged. Check the secondary air filter too.

Pull the float bowl and check for dirt or water in the bottom of the bowl.

If you haven't removed the tiny fuel filter in the carb fuel inlet get it out of there. It can plug up easily and cause all kind of running problems.

• NY T100

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

what about a clogged pilot jet? has it been cleaned lately?

• greer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

Thanks again for the help. The carb inlet filter is long gone, I'll check the vent hoses. I really think it's as Wybs said, the new gearing put me just in the wrong spot.

How complicated is a pumper carb? Christmas is coming up, you know.

Sarah

• BSR-1

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

How complicated is a pumper carb? Christmas is coming up, you know.

Sarah

I got the TM40 from Jeff & it was a piece of cake to install!
highly recommended!

• greer

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

So it's really swap carbs and go? Seems like I read something about tinkering with the accelerator pump and knew that was sure nuff over my head. Thanks again.

Sarah

• ProCycle

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

In most cases it is 'bolt on and go' but just like the stock carb there can be some benefit of fine tuning it for the particular bike. One advantage is that tinkering with the TM40 is easier than tinkering with the stock BST.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.