street tires on stock size rims

6 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted October 18, 2008 - 07:15 AM

when i bought my bike, it came with a front and rear street tire. I am debating buying another set or rims so i can switch from street to dirt, but want to know if i should buy smaller rims/tires for better supermoto type look,grip?

• tweav

Posted October 18, 2008 - 08:48 AM

that really depends on how much and how hard you want to ride on the road . I used to have a two sets of stock rims one with streets one with knobbies . I do mostly supermoto type riding so I got a set of 17's and have not put either set of stock rims back on since , so I sold the one set. Where I live I can ride more street then dirt so . when I do hit the dirt I just slow down and slide the bike around . It's fun

• mightymart

Posted October 18, 2008 - 09:11 AM

I know a few people who use Avon Distanzia's or Bridgestone BT45 on stock rims with good results.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeythefokker

Posted October 18, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Street tires on stock rims will work a lot better than knobbies on the pavement for sure, but they will still be a step short of 17" supermoto wheels. If you get the supermoto setup though, then you usually will have to upgrade your front brakes, and so a "quick change" set will take a few more minutes to swap back and forth. Stock dirt bike brakes don't really seem to work all that great on the street.

• roushxteam199

Posted October 18, 2008 - 02:16 PM

Supermoto is alot of fun on these bikes

• Aus_WR450FS

Posted October 19, 2008 - 12:03 AM

Have a look at this thread for some ideas.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=657654

• LILBIT

Posted October 19, 2008 - 02:07 PM

I know a few people who use Avon Distanzia's or Bridgestone BT45 on stock rims with good results.

+ Maxxis Promaxx. I preferred them to the Bridgestones. Comman tire in SM sportman class.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.