1999 yz 400f oil leak

3 replies to this topic
  • ryan2214

Posted October 18, 2008 - 07:03 AM

I just purchased a 1999 yz 400f (got it for a great price). I noitced after the engine has been running for about five minutes and I shut it down about one to two drops of oil slowly leak out of the overflow tube. Is this normal? I just changed the oil and I am sure I put the right amount back in. Also I went riding yesterday with my six year old so there were times I was going really slow or even stopped and ideling, I noticed the radiator was overheating and spewing steam out of a line at the bottom of the radiator. Is this normal? I don't have an owners manuel, but I am in the process of looking for one. I went to our local shop yeaterday and they told me they are discontinued.

• VB_Racing

Posted October 18, 2008 - 07:36 AM

The oil drips are pretty normal, the overheating was pretty common on those old bikes also. Check your radiator cap to make sure it is holding pressure, you may be able to get a heavier cap. Make sure your coolant is clean, and that the radiator isn't full of silicon drop out, from old coolant. It may be a good time for a coolant change also.
The oil dripping out of the breather is fine, my 08 YZ does that also, overfilling the oil will make it worse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryan2214

Posted October 18, 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the info Dave. Also until I get the manuel I may have some more questions like what type of coolant to use. Water to coolant ratio?

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2008 - 08:13 AM

You might want to visit the Common Threads Sticky

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.