A horn for a xr650

3 replies to this topic
  • cptbuellx1

Posted January 11, 2003 - 03:07 PM

Have any of you made your xr650 street legal and had to install a horn. I might get away with it for the inspection here in NC, but I think it will be required? I'm asking ahead of time because it's a big decision between the xr650 converted vs. a compromised dual sport. thanks ahead of time.

• Dutch

Posted January 11, 2003 - 03:32 PM

I used a bicycle bulb style horn - all the law says is "horn".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted January 11, 2003 - 04:59 PM

cptbuell,

When I dual sported my BRP in AZ I installed a BD ac/dc voltage rectifier/regulator just for a horn. Also run all my lights off of this unit as well now (100W H3 headlight and tail/brake lights, no flashers required). I bought a cheap horn unit, did my own wiring and used a mirco switch from a parts box. (Really cheap :))

The BRP is kinda loud and drowns out that dinky horn. But I am street legal. :D

• smashinz2002

Posted January 11, 2003 - 07:28 PM

most states require a horn, yes, and some states require it to be audible up to a certain distance. Here in Texas, they just say "you have to have a horn", and don't specify anything else. I had already installed the baja designs dual sport kit on it, and that came with a wimpy horn, so that was all that was needed. In fact, I used a harley place to inspect my bike, and they didnt even ride my bike, let alone check the horn. . they said they wouldnt ride a Jap bike, hahaha.. They just slapped an inspection sticker on it without checking anything at all, not even the brakes.. Oh well, they were pretty drunk at the time ..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.