Should it be street legal?

6 replies to this topic
  • edcincy

Posted October 16, 2008 - 08:40 PM

I've thought for a while now about making my '03 street legal. But considering what the bike is made for, can riding it on the street be harmful to it in any way? Can idling in traffic or at numerous stoplights cause overheating issues?

I'm just wondering if taking such a bike and using it for basically the exact opposite of what it was designed for could somehow ruin it?

• bansheeater1

Posted October 17, 2008 - 10:23 AM

I think it would be fine. Just make sure you get the right tires for it because you don't want to ruin your off road tires.

• yzburly

Posted October 17, 2008 - 09:53 PM

My buddy has a 4 stroke and he has said that he can't let the thing idle very long at all. It will start to overheat pretty quick after its already at normal temp. just from riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted October 18, 2008 - 07:25 AM

my wr is quite similar, and besides the larger tank, wide ratio gearbox and no overflow, yours should be just fine with a few tweaks.....but yeah the seat sucks

• DMC707

Posted October 20, 2008 - 02:05 PM

definitely needs a lot taller gearing to use it on the street --- i live in a rural area and occasionally ride mine to relative's homes (4-5 miles)

It is wound tight at 55-60 mph with the stock gearing (mine is an '08 with a 5 speed --- the 4 speed may be more so)

I briefly considered titling and tagging mine, but those little 4 mile trips have made me re-consider. Gearing it tall enough to prevent top end problems would hamper its performance too much on the track for me.

Plus, i don't want to put a sidestand on it. If you like to moto, doing all the dual sport changes would compromise the machine too much, but if you trail ride, -- go for it i guess

I would not hesitate to tag a WR if i had one though. Even if it was carrying a taller gear, it would still have ample power for the trails

• WB450

Posted October 20, 2008 - 02:22 PM

I think it would overheat, doesn't seem like a good idea to me

• Family Man

Posted October 20, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Remmeber you have to change the oil clean the filter after about every three tanks of gas or so. And yes they do over heat in a hurry if left idling for more than 3 mins. plus the tires will detonate in no time at all on the road.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.