08 yz450f

15 replies to this topic
  • yamadog48

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:38 PM

owners of 08 yz450s beware,i just broke 2 intake valves and bent both exhaust valves which in turn wiped out the intake cam, head, buckets,piston,cylinder, pretty much the whole top end is wasted and the bike is only 6 months old!!!!! i don't know if any body else has had a problem with theirs but would like some feed back on my problem and some comments on why it happend.also it is my first 4 stroke.

• swaldrop

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:46 PM

Look something like this?

Posted Image

• B_DRZ

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:08 PM

***, umm I hope that doesnt include 07's

• MX926

Posted October 16, 2008 - 07:13 PM

How much time do you have on the bike?

• husqy360

Posted October 16, 2008 - 07:25 PM

ho man that suck.
hope you can get it to run soon.

• KAS

Posted October 17, 2008 - 09:25 AM

My '07 did the same thing at about 40 hours.

• SUnruh

Posted October 17, 2008 - 09:28 AM

pinched the valve face off the valve stem.

usually happens because the valves lash clearance is too tight
or
cam chain jumps time and it hits the piston
or
cam gear spins on the cam shaft throwing off the timing which causes the piston to hit the valve.

make sure you replace the crankshaft w/rod and timing chain

• yamadog48

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:22 PM

no,its much worse.like 2 intake valves completely gone and both exhaust valves are bent.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamadog48

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:24 PM

My '07 did the same thing at about 40 hours.

it has about 30 to 40 hrs on it.

• MX926

Posted October 17, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Have you checked the valve clearance in the bike since it was new?

• GENE426

Posted October 17, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Damn that sucks
Yammies have always treated me good

• Justin89

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:00 PM

Damn that sucks
Yammies have always treated me good

x2 ::D :

• yamadog48

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:24 PM

Have you checked the valve clearance in the bike since it was new?

yea like 2 weeks ago, i am very meticulous about my bike and its maintenance like change oil every ride,oil filter every 2 rides,air filter every ride,even change the cam Chane every 6 months as preventive maintenance.

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 18, 2008 - 06:26 AM

its CHAIN. and sounds like you did something wrong, maybe set the lash too tight. My 08 450 yamaha has over 200 hours on it, valves never moved.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Setting the valve lash too tight will not cause this. If the valve lash becomes too tight due to wear on the face of the valve, that can cause it. Valves don't always wear evenly and concentrically around the whole face, and if the wear is uneven, the valve will scrub and twist as it seats. That causes the stem to flex, and after it does that long enough, it may break.

If this is a relatively low hour bike, you might take the matter up with your dealer and see if Yamaha will help with parts on this.

• swaldrop

Posted October 18, 2008 - 08:39 AM

After going through the same exact situation a few months ago (intake valve dropped at about 48 hours), reading posts from others who have as well, knowing what I know about the recall of the '06 250f valves and talking to engine guys, I think sometimes it's luck of the draw.

Like anything ever manufactured, there are bound to be blems. I'm pretty sure I got one and you probably did too. Fortunately for most, it wasn't the epidemic that the '06 250f was, however I would have loved for Yamaha to step up on this one.

Although admittedly, I never checked my valve clearances up to that point, if they were that out of spec to cause such a catastrophe in such a short amount of time, then something was wrong with the valve and/or head assembly.

Good luck. While you have it a part, be sure to check everything to make sure you don't end up even worse. Oh and FYI, YamahaSportsPlaza.com has the best price on heads that I was able to find. Also be sure to check Ebay.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.