Tough times. Questions.

15 replies to this topic
  • SDMatt

Posted October 16, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I lost my job last month, and the last thing I wanted to do was sell my bike, but now reality has set in and I have to do it. :D
I plan on parting the entire bike out. I would like some options to know how much the engine is worth. I have been searching around and cannot find any current or prior listings to give me an idea. Would anyone know what the engine would be worth? Would it be better to part the engine out. I have always valued this forum and have used this as a place to get excellent information about my bike.

Items about the bike:

-2003 WR450F. Never raced. I trail rode this bike almost exclusively down in Baja and have posted on the Baja forum many times. I bought the bike in '05 from the original owner and it has relatively very low hours of use on it.
-Valve checks always done at least yearly, but valves have never been out of adjustment.
-I did replaced the 'started bushing', which had worn out for the magic button to work. The starter clutch is fine and in working order
-I did not do any modifications to this bike. It was made late in the '03 year, so the woodruff key issue does not apply.
-JD Jet kit was added to the FCR 39 MX-2 Carb.

Part it? Sell it whole?
Any comments are welcomed. I hope that it is ok for me to ask these questios here. If the moderator has any comments, please let me know. I thought this would be the best place to ask this because of the wealth of information of the people here. I do have to say, the WR is the best bike that I have owned and I look forward to buying another one in the future.

Here are some pics:
http://picasaweb.goo....rathsam/WR450#

Thanks.

• Swiveler1973

Posted October 16, 2008 - 03:56 PM

Sorry about you having hard times, That bike is set up nice the way it is.
My opinion is that it would be easier to sell complete than it would be to
part it out.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:01 PM

With the economy the way it is, and the fact that its a red sticker bike you'll get peanuts for it if you sell it whole. $3000 tops and thats being generous. Damn shame too because that is a very clean bike you've got there.

It'll take some effort, but I say part it out. You'll probably get more for the engine and suspension by themselves than you would for the whole bike at street value.

Also, you could probably get $150+ for the tank, and at least $600 for the wheelset.

• SDMatt

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:18 PM

With the economy the way it is, and the fact that its a red sticker bike you'll get peanuts for it if you sell it whole. $3000 tops and thats being generous. Damn shame too because that is a very clean bike you've got there.

It'll take some effort, but I say part it out. You'll probably get more for the engine and suspension by themselves than you would for the whole bike at street value.

Also, you could probably get $150+ for the tank, and at least $600 for the wheelset.

Thanks for the input. I have parted out a XR400R a few years back. It takes effort but I have the time to do it at this point and I'm starting to do it now. My main question is should I part out the engine itself? :D

• ndkirwin

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:19 PM

engine- approximately 800 to 1000
wheels- 600
frame- 100
plastic- 60
tank- 100
forks- 200
shock- 100
carburetor- 200
swingarm- 50
headlight- 50
brakes- 100
exhaust- 150
seat- 40

The bike looks in very good shape, probably be best to sell it whole.
Of course if you sell and somebody needs your specific parts, it might go higher.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 16, 2008 - 07:54 PM

My main question is should I part out the engine itself? :D

Thats up to you.

I think you could get $1000-$1200 for a complete running engine. However, I don't think people will be willing to pay for used individual parts like head/cylinder/cases/crank, etc.

Check E-bay out. There are a couple of moto stores that seem to be doing well parting bikes out.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 17, 2008 - 11:56 AM

To bad it's not plated, you could sell the car and use it to deliver pizza in the mean time.:D

• blockpass270

Posted October 17, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Be sure to get video of the engine starting and running for your eBay auction before you part it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steve ROC

Posted October 17, 2008 - 03:42 PM

It's so simple, keep the bike and sell the wife and kids. That bike looks like its in great shape! The US dollar is up, oil and gold are down, crazy times, only one thing you can do. Go riding. Hope things work out for you.

• SDMatt

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:02 PM

Be sure to get video of the engine starting and running for your eBay auction before you part it.

Did that. Thanks.

• SDMatt

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:07 PM

It's so simple, keep the bike and sell the wife and kids. That bike looks like its in great shape! The US dollar is up, oil and gold are down, crazy times, only one thing you can do. Go riding. Hope things work out for you.

Good idea, but lucky for me, I'm single and have no kids! :D I'm thinking about driving my truck around Baja, but I don't think that'll do it for me.

To bad it's not plated, you could sell the car and use it to deliver pizza in the mean time.:worthy:

I definately would have done that and added super moto wheels to it. :ride: CA sucks in that regard

• beezer

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:40 PM

I would knock off a few convienence stores before I would sell the bike.

Or go to WalMart and do a slip-n-fall.

Do you have an elderly relative that you could push down the stairs?

Know any fat girls with money you could date?

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Think outside the box.

• Steve ROC

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:44 PM

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWW YAAAAAAAAAA. Sassy fat chicks with money. Thats the way to go.

• texas_hippie

Posted October 29, 2008 - 04:02 PM

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWW YAAAAAAAAAA. Sassy fat chicks with money. Thats the way to go.

Awww shit....I married one of those..except for the money part.

• phoo

Posted October 30, 2008 - 05:58 AM

Anyone know if that tank will fit on a 2000 WR400? If so, I'll buy the tank, seat, and shrouds if you decide to part it out. Add the engine guard to the list if it'll fit onto my frame.

Thanks,

~Patrick

• WGP

Posted October 30, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Your not gonna get much for your bike since its so old.

Go get a job and ride your bike its way too clean!:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.