Fork height

8 replies to this topic
  • MaddogYZ

Posted October 16, 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hey guys some background on my suspension setup. I bought my 05' used and the guy had the forks slid about 10mm up in the clamps and my sag was at 100mm. I wasn't very happy with the turning, it would tip in and then not want to lean any further to cut sharp turn unless I got way up on the seat and rode really aggresively. I set the sag at 92mm and the bike turned very sharp but the rear end was extremely light and all over the place and in general the bike didn't feel balanced.

I slid the forks back to flush and now it handles like it did originally, read not very well. Common sense tells me to set the forks 5mm high and test it, which I will, but would like to hear some of you guy's setup. I may have to compromise on a happy medium and just live with the heavy handling but would like to hear you suggestions.

Thanks

• YamaLink

Posted October 16, 2008 - 09:48 AM

First, reset sag at factory spec of 3.9 to 4.1. This will get rid of the skipping and hopping, and improve traction and plushness a bit.

Then put your forks back to factory height, or, 10mm less then where they were when you bought the bike.

Now adjust to preference. I would start by going 3mm on the forks at 4.1 sag, or put the sag at the lower end of the range - 3.9, and see how you like it.

Each complete turn of the rear spring is about 3mm. Six mm is about 1/4 inch.

I'm sure others will have great input. You're not that far off from a balanced ride.

• MaddogYZ

Posted October 16, 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thought the manual spec was down to 90mm or 3.5"? I actually like the rear suspension action much better at 92 than at 100. At 100 it was to soft and would do this weird hop/twist when hitting a g-out, kinda scary actually. Traction was amazing in the mud though and would hook up on anthing and suck every little bump. At 92mm of sag the suspension firmed up and is much more controlled when ridden fast and still sucks up the rocks and roots adequatly.

• dazzabb

Posted October 17, 2008 - 02:12 AM

Maddog,

Whats your static sag?
If its say 30mm, try running it a bot more 35mm, that will soften the rear end a little and make it less skittish as it wont be quite as firm.

As you are running quite a bit of preload at 92mm I would also increase the shock rebound damping by a few clicks to compensate for the higher spring tension.

As you say you will have to compromise, on my 05 I run 100mm rider, 30mm static with forks 10mm thru the yokes, but theres no getting away from the fact that its a top heavy bike. Like this it turns pretty well but can get a bit "flappy" on the rough stuff at higher speeds, but for my riding conditions this is the best compromise........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted October 17, 2008 - 06:16 AM

Maddog,

Whats your static sag?
If its say 30mm, try running it a bot more 35mm, that will soften the rear end a little and make it less skittish as it wont be quite as firm.

I actually found quite the opposite. With the stock 5.5 spring ( I weigh around 195 ) with 100mm race sag I had 45mm of static. I went down to a 5.4 spring and I now have 15mm static with 100mm race sag.
What a difference :worthy:
No more rear hop, plush and doen't wallow in the mud and sand.
Amazing in the roots and rocks and still doesn't bottom at the track :D
I run my forks 10mm up in the clamps with 0.48 springs and 100mm oil level.

My setup works awesome in the woods but it sounds like you're looking for more of a Supermoto setting?????

• dazzabb

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:50 AM

Tribalbc - I guess we all have different outlooks, set-ups that work for us.

It's each to their own, but with 15mm of static sag on you bike and 100mm race sag, its telling you your spring rate is too soft - but who am i to tell you if it feels good.:D

• tribalbc

Posted October 17, 2008 - 08:05 AM

I've always been a believer in 15-25mm static sag for offroad. Yes I like a slightly softer spring.

• MaddogYZ

Posted October 17, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Tribalbc - I guess we all have different outlooks, set-ups that work for us.

It's each to their own, but with 15mm of static sag on you bike and 100mm race sag, its telling you your spring rate is too soft - but who am i to tell you if it feels good.:D

My static sag was 30mm with the race sag at 100. With spring cranked down to 92mm my static was 17mm. So what I did last night was set the race sag at 94 to get a little more squat out of the rear suspension and slid the forks up 10mm. I'll be riding tomorrow to see how it rides. I think your right though and I'll never be able to kid rid of the heavy feeling and make it like my YZ250 was.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 17, 2008 - 09:57 PM

I had my suspension done AGAIN and its finally right. The WR450 needs a revalve like fish need water.

I ride with the forks up a bit in the clamps and the sag set to about 90 before I put my gear on. Slow down the fork rebound until it sticks in the turns. It will never fall into turns, but it will stick.

go counter clockwise 1 or 2 clicks on the rear rebound. Counter clockwise one clear on rear compression.

You rear should settle down a bit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.