90/100w h4 bulb

22 replies to this topic
  • Talbertnz

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

Just filled up my van at the petrol stationa and noticed they had some h4 bulbs 90/100w on the shelf.

So I took one with me.

(I read somewhere here that people use those right? )
(Without melting stuff due to extra heat right ?)

Does one need to change any fuses to do this????

• NordieBoy

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

Should be fine.
Illegal but fine :D

• Wybs

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:04 AM

I ran an 80/100W til it blew, no need for fuse changing. The reflector is metal and the lens glass so no worries there

• LukasM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

That's a lot of watts for the stock wiring.... Do a voltage drop test to make sure it can handle it.

Let us know what you find out!:D

• Talbertnz

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

Thanks all!

will try that. where should I test the voltage drop? at the headlight right?

• Talbertnz

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

Should be fine.

Maybe I'll put the 55/60 in to get WOF.

Also i just recalled that i have linked the highbeam with lowbeam about a year back.
So when on highbeam i've got low and highbeam going at same time....
(no prob with Warrent Of Fitness (WOF) so far) but
better undo that when i put the 90/100 in????

• NordieBoy

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

Might just be a bit much heat there for both filaments at the same time :D

• bmechanic

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Should be fine.

X2 as I have been running the 80/100w for two years now and no problems. NAPA sells them and it says on the package "for offroad use only" but the way I look at it is when I am cruzin at night time with my high beam on everyone can see me before someone turns left infront of me.

• Dirty Harry

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

Are the 80/100 bulbs literally about twice as bright/powerful as a 55/60? I was under the impression that it was just marketing (as in light output is LIKE 80/100 due to a nifty blue coating)...

I'm kind of liking the idea of just turning on both fillaments in a 55/60 bulb... If a DR can run two bulbs on a duel headlight setup it should be able to run the combined 115 watts. I think the only consequence might be shorter bulb life?

DH

• AndrewL

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:55 PM

Are the 80/100 bulbs literally about twice as bright/powerful as a 55/60? I was under the impression that it was just marketing (as in light output is LIKE 80/100 due to a nifty blue coating)...

The difference is a 10-20% gain in light down the road. Most of the extra power is turned into heat.

The nifty blue coating should be avoided. It will reduce light output substantially. The marketing people have to twist things around real good to get twice the light from a blue coating.

The Buell conversion looks like the best bet for dramatically improving the DR's lighting performance while remaining street legal. Throw in some HIDs for good measure if you don't mind bending the law.

Cheers

• BSR-1

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:49 AM

http://easternbeaver...ts/h4_kits.html

read here if you want more light.

I ordered the dual (high/low) kit with the ceramic socket.
very high quality & fast shipping.

I'm also running a 55/100w bulb.

• bdkw1

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Piaa has a 90/135 H4 bulb that I used for years with great results before going HID.

• Older and Slower

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Napa 55/100 W bulbs, or the 80/100 W bulbs? I went to Napa yesterday and all of the packages have the part number, but nowhere on the packages is the wattage ratings.

Thanks.

• BSR-1

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Napa 55/100 W bulbs, or the 80/100 W bulbs? I went to Napa yesterday and all of the packages have the part number, but nowhere on the packages is the wattage ratings.

Thanks.

I ordered mine from summit racing.

• DPRider2

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

you can get upgraded bulbs at powerbulbs.com

They offer bulbs that have up to 30%, 50% or 80% higher output while drawing the same wattage. They're from name brands like Osram and Philips. They are located in the UK and I have ordered bulbs from them several times in the past and I have received them in less than a week.

Since they are the same wattage a wiring upgrade is not necessary, not that one won't benefit from upgrading the wimpy wiring in the stock setup.

• ProCycle

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Piaa has a 90/135 H4 bulb that I used for years with great results before going HID.

Did you have this in a DR650 or some other bike?
My main concern would be whether the charging system can keep up with the extra draw.

• bignick

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

PIAA has an H4 bulb called the Super Plasma GTX that delivers 125-135 watts of lighting output while drawing the 55-60 wattage. This may be the answer as no relays or beefed up wiring are neccessary. They cost about $50.http://www.piaa.com/...s/Bulbs-H4.html

• misfit77

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

I agree with DPR.

I use powerbulbs.com to get European H4 bulbs, OSRAM Silverstar (not to be confused with American version from Sylvania).

I have used Osram Silverstar in my last 3 cars...nice and bright white, no more urine colored headlights.

I have not a clue if the Osram Nightbreakers are as good as they claim.

powerbulbs.com has a pair for $25.85 (free shipping) or you can get them from ebay for less, but you risk getting counterfeit bulbs.

Osram ftw

you can get upgraded bulbs at powerbulbs.com

They offer bulbs that have up to 30%, 50% or 80% higher output while drawing the same wattage. They're from name brands like Osram and Philips. They are located in the UK and I have ordered bulbs from them several times in the past and I have received them in less than a week.

Since they are the same wattage a wiring upgrade is not necessary, not that one won't benefit from upgrading the wimpy wiring in the stock setup.

• bmechanic

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

My main concern would be whether the charging system can keep up with the extra draw.

On my dr650 I have been using a 100w high beam for awhile now. Went to the desert this last weekend and what a HUGE difference in the amount of light when there is none around. DR650 charging system is 200watts, need 35 watts to run the ignition and anouther 12watts to run the turn signal and tail light, so the rest of the wattage will power the head light no problem.

• bdkw1

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

It was in a KLX300 with a rewound 180W stator and a Baja Designs DS kit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.