oil change for a road bike?

6 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted October 15, 2008 - 06:20 PM

hey. my bikes probably does 80% on the road. How many miles should i go between oil changes, and filters?

• tweav

Posted October 15, 2008 - 07:23 PM

I change the oil on my 07 every 600-800 and the filter every third time. I think your bike holds more oil then mine so to could go a bit longer.

• fix

Posted October 16, 2008 - 01:28 PM

At the minute im riding my wr400 100% on the road,someones gonna say no way im sure but i think im gonna change the oil every 1000 miles.

Havent had it long so ive changed the oil when i bought it and only done a few hundred miles yet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted October 16, 2008 - 03:37 PM

cool, im at 600 now....and should prepare for a change. thanks guys

• justbackitin

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:16 PM

wow, I change mine every 5 tanks of gas since i don't have a speedo. Filter gets changed out every second time. I ride 90% street and still have problems keeping the oil clean for longer than that. I guess in a little paranoid though!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 17, 2008 - 09:50 PM

wow, I change mine every 5 tanks of gas since i don't have a speedo. Filter gets changed out every second time. I ride 90% street and still have problems keeping the oil clean for longer than that. I guess in a little paranoid though!

my 06 had 11k miles on it before i sold and it was used as a dual sport / dirt bike...oil changed every 300 miles or asap after. the motor was bone stock and the valves never moved. if it was me i would not go past 500 miles on the road. the oil breaks down way to fast! but what the heck do i know:ride:

• SXP

Posted October 18, 2008 - 09:15 AM

cool, im at 600 now....and should prepare for a change. thanks guys

Take the guess work out of it. Send a sample of your oil in for an oil analysis. About $20. Should give you a good base line to project future oil change intervals.

On my WR400 I go 300 miles max between oil changes. On the 07 between 150-200 miles. Neither oil change interval is based on any scientific data - just a whim.

Do an oil analysis.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.