BAD NEWS for WR450F....

103 replies to this topic
  • Alabama_Rider

Posted January 10, 2003 - 07:34 PM

HOT NEWS... I talked to my Yamaha dealer today. He told me he talked to the Factory Rep today and the WR450 has been put on "Production Hold". He said no bikes will ship anytime soon. Bikes already out may be recalled... Said it would be "months" before anyone would get one thats not already out... Said factory wouldn't reveal what the problem was. Thank goodness I have an honest Yamaha dealer. Also said WR250's were not effected. I am now looking at ATK 250 or YZ250F...

• Alabama_Rider

Posted January 10, 2003 - 08:07 PM

Now that the WR450 is out for the season, I am considering a YZ250F. Can anyone comment on it's suitability for the "thick woods" enduro's. It must be able to go slow, and must have good low-end torgue...

• Ridin'_MD

Posted January 10, 2003 - 08:42 PM

I am so sick of this crap.

• Jonesy920

Posted January 10, 2003 - 11:15 PM

I just put a $200 deposit down today. I'm going to call Yamaha Corp on Monday and get the truth since my dealer is telling me this is all BS

• 450yjoffroad94

Posted January 11, 2003 - 02:55 AM

Man I hope this is not true!!!!!!!!!!!! We have waited to long for this...I called yamaha two days ago and they said the are getting shipped out as we spoke they did not say anything about haulting production or a recall...Please dont let it be TRUE...

• WR250fla

Posted January 11, 2003 - 03:26 AM

I spoke to Yamaha motor corp. They said they were shipping bikes and getting them out a fast as they could and every dealer in the country that ordered on would have one soon.
They didn't mention any "production hold".

• xr600r

Posted January 11, 2003 - 04:16 AM

KTM....KTM....KTM...KTM.... nope i'm gonna wait for my WR.
:)

• ddialogue

Posted January 11, 2003 - 04:21 AM

I'm really hoping the Yamaha rep your dealer talked to is out in left field somewhere. I'm taking this with a grain of salt. They haven't had any major problems with the YZ450F and how much different, really, is the WR450F?

• beezer

Posted January 11, 2003 - 04:43 AM

My dealer told me that Yamaha was not going to make any more motorcycles.

They were going open a chain of Japanese take out resturants.

• Motorod

Posted January 11, 2003 - 04:47 AM

Will the food get cold during the wait? :) If so I'll be eating at KTM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blackie

Posted January 11, 2003 - 04:54 AM

What breezer said is true. I heard the same thing from my wife's sister's husband's best friend, who works in the Japanese restaurant industry, that Yamaha has been experimenting with high speed, 4-stroke, food preparation lines.

BTW, Alabama Rider, If you are currently on a XR650, and you are considering a YZ250F for the woods, you would probably be disappointed. Yes it's lighter and more nimble, but it lacks the tractor pull that you are probably accustomed to with the XR. I would look at modifying a YZ450 with a flywheel weight, to give it that tractor pull feeling, before considering the 250.

John

• xr600r

Posted January 11, 2003 - 05:09 AM

guess i'll buy a cannondale then......i like american food.
burgers and fries , ya' know. :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted January 11, 2003 - 06:05 AM

THE MORE THE WR GETS PUSHED BACK THE BETTER KEEPING MY 97 DR350 WITH THE BIG BORE 435 KIT,VORTEX AIR BOX AND , FMF MEGA MAX EXHAUST LOOKS.I WAS ALL GUNG HO WHEN I FIRST PUT MY DOWN PAYMENT ON MY WR BACK IN AUGUST AND HEAR EVERY MONTH OH IT WILL BE IN NEXT MONTH, NEXT MONTH CAME OH YEAH IT WILL BE IN NEXT MONTH, AND SO ON AND SO ON. WELL NOW IT'S JANUARY AND THEY SAID FEBRUARY AND NOW I HEAR THAT THEY ARE GONNA STOP SHIPPING THEM AND RECALL ALL OF THE ONES OUT ALREADY AND WE WON'T BE ABLE TO GET ONE FOR A FEW MORE MONTHS THIS REALLY SUX. I WONDER IF YAMAHA REALIZES HOW MANY SALES THEY LOST DUE TO THIS DELAY. I KNOW I ALMOST WENT OUT AND GOT A KTM 520 BUT I CAN'T SEE MYSELF RIDING AN ORANGE BIKE "YUCK" THE MORE I WAIT THE MORE I REALIZE THAT MY 97 DR 435 IS PAYED OFF, AND DO I REALLY WANT ANOTHER PAYMENT ? SO NOW I'M NOT SO SURE I EVEN WANT THE WR ANYMORE IT'S JUST VERY AGGREVATING THAT IT KEEPS GETTING PUSHED BACK.AT THIS RATE IF EVERYONE PUTS $1 A DAY ASIDE FOR THE WR 450 BY THE TIME WE CAN ACTUALY GET IT WE CAN PAY IT OFF IN FULL WHEN IT COMES IN. MAYBE IT'S JUST ME BUT THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF !! EVERYONE GETS THERE HOPE'S UP THINKING THIS IS THE MONTH I GET MY WR JUST TO GET THE HARSH REALITY THAT IT'S BEEN PUSHED BACK EVEN FURTHER. SO FOR RANTING AND RAVING BUT I JUST HAD TO VENT . I'M SURE I'M NOT ALONE ON THIS !!!
:D :D :) :D:mad: :D :D :D

• SPUTTER

Posted January 11, 2003 - 06:28 AM

Bama rider,
The suject of the Yzf vs. the WRf 250's has been overkilled in the 250 forum. Suffice to say I own a sweet running WR426 and the 03 250Yzf... the yzf is taller and in somepositions a pain for me to raise my leg to start it (sidehills etc.) I'm 5'10" and weigh 165. Other than that it starts w/o the e-button just like a 2-stroke, it bump starts like a two stroke, it has tons of low end (especially after it breaks in) it raises the front end no sweat for big rocks, logs, etc. - it is light, with the forks raised, it carves in the tightest stuff better than anything I've ever ridden, and I have had about a dozen KDX's over the years and KX's too. It makes the 426 a back-burner bike. I use stock gearing and still don't need to clutch it much. I feel the close-ratio gear box is a plus for tight stuff, and the suspension does NOT need a revalve for tight woods stuff after 2 hrs break-in (although I run the fork compression all the way out - but I'm old and tired). You will need a larger tank for over 40 mile runs, o-ring chain, spark arrestor and side stand - I recommend PMB for the last two - I just can't tell you how much fun this light powerful bike is. If I were still racing I wouldn't consider anything else for enduro or hare scrambles. My brother in law and I are similar skilled riders. He bought a KTM 525 - we were riding in a hilly, woody, rocky area. His heavier KTM gave him grief over logs, etc. - the yzf is so light you can unload and go. You won't miss the WR450's weight in those situations. Sorry about the length of this but this machine is something else. :)

• Ridin'_MD

Posted January 11, 2003 - 07:22 AM

Probably the only realistic cause for a recall (if this is true)could be the new smaller oil capacity. This is one problem that would not affect the YZ but could cripple the WR with prolonged engine running times. This is my friends idea but makes a bunch of sense.

Sure hope the recall rumor is not true though.

• beezer

Posted January 11, 2003 - 07:37 AM

I don't know how good a choice a Cannondale might be. They lose money on every bike they sell and they have had to put most employees on furlough. The motorcycles have been a real finacial drain on the company and many long time employees are upset that Cannondale ever started with motorcycles. I got this information from the Wall Street Journal not my usual source which is my cousins boyfriends step mom's hairdresser.

If I got mine today what would I do with it.

It's 21 degrees outside. :)

• Ud_Luz

Posted January 11, 2003 - 07:45 AM

beezer, it's NEVER to cold to ride. 15 here yesterday and we tore it up.

• sabooo

Posted January 11, 2003 - 07:46 AM

Umm.. its not like a recalled motorcycle means you have to give it back... bike recalls happen in the form of a service recall - you schedule an appointment, bring the bike in and they fix what is (or may soon be) broken. I guess I'm taking this lightly as well because if there is a recall imminent it means they have a fix available, and if there is a fix available there would be no reason to cease production. Dunno, maybe I've overanalyzed it?
Having just spoken to my dealer 5 minutes ago and being told that the distribution center promised him with 99% certainty a second half of january delivery, i'd hate to have a large spanner tossed into the clockworks now.

Cheers,
Sabooo

• SMD

Posted January 11, 2003 - 08:00 AM

Alabama Rider is the Honda forum down today?
How about a link? Name? Phone number?
Looks like a troll, smells like a troll got to be a troll.
:)

• beezer

Posted January 11, 2003 - 08:22 AM

15 degrees WOW thats cold. The ground must be like concrete.

I would ride in cold weather but the cold air blows right up my pink dress.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.