No mark on flywheel?

11 replies to this topic
  • c9buff

Posted October 15, 2008 - 03:30 PM

I've got a 2005 WR 450 that I bought used.:D

I'm trying my first valve adjustment. When placing the bike in TDC, I can see the dimples on the cams line up as they are supposed to.

However, I'm looking for the mark on the flywheel to indicate it is in TDC and it is not there.

I can't see a mark on the entire rotor (flywheel). Has anyone had this happen and any suggestions.

Thanks,

buff

• William1

Posted October 15, 2008 - 03:36 PM

May not be a stock flywheel. Many aftermarket ones do not have the mark.

You can find TDC with a dial indicator, then scribe the flywheel for future reference.

• c9buff

Posted October 15, 2008 - 03:42 PM

What is a dial indicator and how do you use it.

thanks,
buff

• William1

Posted October 15, 2008 - 04:02 PM

A dial indicator is a measuring tool. Combined with a long shaft/tip and a stand, the engine is rotated to close to TDC. The indicator tip is inserted into the engine. It measures piston height. The higher the piston, the closer to TDC. When the value maxes out and begins to decline, you rotate back to the highest number, this will be TDC.

Google 'Dial Indicator" for more info.

• c9buff

Posted October 15, 2008 - 04:20 PM

Do you feel I could get same results without a dial caliper and just a long thin tool.

thanks,

buff

• William1

Posted October 15, 2008 - 05:14 PM

You can, sort of but you will not be very accurate. BTW, it is 'Dial Indicator' not 'Dial Caliper'.

Personally, I would only trust a dial indicator to do this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c9buff

Posted October 15, 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks William,

I will pick one up tomorrow. I can see that the dial indicator will have other applications that will be beneficial to me.

Still hard to believe that some flywheels don't have the markings.

Thanks for the help.

buff

• William1

Posted October 16, 2008 - 02:26 AM

Just be sure to get a long tip. It'll need to be about 6 inches long to reach the top of the piston.
Scribe carefully, you really only get one shot at it.

• matt4x4

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:31 AM

you can pretty much stick anything thin enough down the spark plug hole and mark it or use something with indicator marks of some sort already on it - I've used the white stick off a tire pressure gauge before (taped to a screw for extension), then when you rotate - your pressure reading can work as your indicator lines - pretty simple to read and know when it's sticking out the furthest, you can wrap a piece of Electrical tape level with the top of the hole around it too as your permanent reference mark - it's not rocket science. A degree or three isn't going to make a hill of beans difference on your cams - they will still be timed right since it takes a LOT more to be off one tooth on your timing.

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2008 - 07:00 AM

You can also be quite precise in marking a flywheel without a dial, and in fact, using a dial to find the point at which the piston is highest is not the most precise method, anyway.

The ultimate means of locating TDC is to create a piston stop, which can be anything that will screw into the plug hole, and has a rod that extends down far enough to contact the piston at some point before it goes over top. Attach a degree wheel to the crank, eyeballing the approximate location of TDC, and rotate the engine forward until it stops. Note the reading on the wheel. Then, rotate the crank the other way until it stops again. Adjust the degree wheel so that it shows the same number of degrees at both stops, and you will have true TDC where the degree wheel says it is.

You can vary this by using a dial instead of a stop by using rolling the engine both ways form TDC to the same distance and centering the dergee wheel based on that, or even by using a simple vernier caliper and doing the same thing.

If you have no degree wheel, and no caliper, you can still be very accurate by bending up a T shaped probe from a piece of coat hanger. Trim the length so that it can be inserted down the plug hole until the "handle" rests on the cam cover and is barely lifted by the piston as it goes over top. Use the same method as above, bumping the rod from both directions to make two marks close together on the flywheel. TDC is right between them.

And, of course, Matt is actually correct in that if you just feel for it carefully enough, you can get within a couple degrees of true TDC reliably enough to time the cams in almost every case.

• William1

Posted October 16, 2008 - 08:45 AM

LOL, Gray, you will make his head explode!

I agree, the method using a stop and a degree wheel is by far the most accurate. But the level of weffot is growing.....

• GCannon

Posted October 16, 2008 - 08:49 AM

As indicated above the piston stop method can give very precise results.

A piston stop can be made easily from an old sparkplug by breaking out the procelin and threading the steel plug body treading a bolt into the now internally treaded plug body. the point of the bolt that will touches the piston should be smooth so as not to mark the piston.

As described above insert piston stop roll the piston up to the stop then mark the flywheel at the case reference mark. Then roll the piston up to the stop from the other direction mark the flywheel again. TDC is exactly half way between the two marks.:D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.