SRC Fork Brace Install Tomorrow, Tips???

8 replies to this topic
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 10, 2003 - 05:38 PM

Hey guys I am going to install my SRC fork brace tomorrow, lube the steering bearings, and replace the fork oil. Any tips you can give me on the fork brace would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and keep on thumpin' on!

• Dutch

Posted January 11, 2003 - 03:30 PM

Trim the fender, then before you put the fork springs back in collapse the front suspension to check the trim job you did on the fender. That brace is some of the best money I've spent on my BRP.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 11, 2003 - 06:56 PM

I can't believe how easy the brace was to install. The instructions were super easy to follow and everything fit together well. It was my first shot at steering head bearings and they were not too bad either. Just turning the wheel on the garage floor I can feel the difference. We will be heading up to Tahuya near Seattle next weekend to test it out.

Ryan

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 14, 2003 - 06:30 AM

Sorry to see this to late.

The best advice if anyone does a search for this is to really clean the bike first off! Make it spotless on the forks and fenders for sure!

The hardest part is trimming the front fender. Not an easy task. I used some tin snips and hacksaw blades to accomplish that. Dremel tool would be even easier.

Since you have to drop the forks, ideal time to change the suspension fluid and do some maintenance. Clean and pack the steering head stem bearings. Go to an autoparts store and get a bearing packer and grease gun if you dont have one. Cost is like $10 for the packer and $5-10 for the gun. It looks like 2 cones on top of each other. Insert the bearing between them and pump away. Also the front wheel bearings, good time to replace them. You can take the bearings out and to an autoparts store. Get the double rubber sealed bearings. The Bower/BCA number is like 203FF. The FF is the double sealed rubber. Stock is single sealed so they get lots of dirt in them fast. When you put the bearings back in, be sure to pack the hub space between the hub and spacer full of grease. Keeps the water out.

You can also inspect the rotors and pads up front. Bleed the brake system for sure with DOT4 fluid.

The Brace is very simple to install. You have to drop the forks to install the rubber boots. Other than that, you can assemble the brace with the forks installed. I really liked that brace on my xr when I had it. Made the bike turn much sharper and ruts are no problem anymore on the trails. Alhtough it cost a few bills, well worth it! Now I have inverted forks and they are even better. My friend on a kdx200 that I ride with thinks they are to stiff, but he is not use to a perimeter frame and inverted forks. The more time on the bike that we swap, the more he likes it. Anyways, rambling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 14, 2003 - 07:53 PM

Matt,

I did do the fork fluid and bearings, though did not use a packer. I found the fender to be the easiest part using a jig saw and a scroll blade as recommended. The fender only took about 5 minutes, though the rest of the installation was also quick and painless. Great product.

Let's get together and ride sometime. Check out the XR400 or DRZ board for the April 18th regional rides being planned.

Ryan

• Ed_Buratti

Posted January 15, 2003 - 02:48 AM

The only thing I would add to the suggestions so far is to check the brace before every ride for at least the first few rides.

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 15, 2003 - 06:58 PM

Checking that out right now.

I should have the bike done by then. Painted the frame and waiting for the parts to finish the top end, clutch, new chain, sprockets and VforceII reed. Plus getting the pipe fixed next week, huge dent!

But the bike should rip for sure! I am planning a Late April, first of May trip to Brownlee reservior to go riding. That is where I spent most my summers growing up. Eastern oregon as you can get! Fast fire roads and huge hill climbs

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 15, 2003 - 07:05 PM

You may want to start a new global thread by region.

I would love to plan 2 weekends of riding in a row or at least close to each other. I could always bring the xr50 and school everyone! hehe or the wifes ttr125, but I will probably bring the KDX. It takes jumps better with my weight!

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 19, 2003 - 08:49 PM

Ride Report/Follow-Up:

Saturday we went up to Tahuya on Hood Canal near Seattle for a day of trail riding. The trails were pretty flat and somewhat easier than what I am used to, but it was a good test for the new brace.

The first place I noticed the brace's effectiveness was in the roots. Normally I have to fight these sections by oversteering to compensate for flex, the first time I came to the roots I went down due to oversteering. The wheel held true to where I pointed it and did not deflect, causing me to go down on the side of a hill. After that fall I just started taking things straight on and the bars stayed straight. This let me take the rough sections with a little more speed than average.

Next, we hit a sandy whoop section which I usually hate. My past experience with the 600 had the ass end wanting to pass the front end in whoops, jerking the bars from my hands. The 600 still isn't great at whoops, but I could steer straight and the bike held a much better line.

The final improvement was over loose 4-6" rock we encountered in a rock pit along the trail. Before the brace I could not take these rocks with any speed as the front end would have been out of control. With the brace I could steer through much better and the bike went where I pointed it.

I am sure I could have gotten better results from a steering damper or inverted forks, but I do feel the SRC fork brace improved the steering of the bike with less deflection and enabled me to hold a straight line through the tough stuff. If I had it to do over again I would purchase the SRC unit for performance and quality of workmanship.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.