Emergency Octane Booster

37 replies to this topic
  • cameronarrow

Posted October 14, 2008 - 08:17 PM

What can I carry to use as an emergency octane booster (anti knock) for use when when premium (91) is not available and I have to use regular gas (87) to get me back home ?

2 stroke oil ?, TEL lead (can I even get it in northern Ontario).

I have ran about 80% regular a few times and I have never heard pinging, but these are noisy motors and I don't know if I would hear it. I don't race so I don't care about loss of power, I just want to protect the engine, yet carry the lightest, smallest container possible

Are there other options ? unplug the TPS ? Richen the fuel screw ?

• BajaFool

Posted October 14, 2008 - 09:42 PM

Your bike will run just fine on 87 octane gas. I have used it in Mexico on numerous occasions, for hundreds of miles. Don't make a habit of it, don't plan to play motocross racer and you will be fine.

• tweav

Posted October 15, 2008 - 12:04 AM

You can also just carry a small amount of 104+ octane booster . I would think you would only put like 2 oz. to a tank on a wr . to make it stop pinging . you can get that stuff at almost any auto parts store or even wal-mart and k-mart

• Regalman

Posted October 15, 2008 - 05:35 AM

This is odd... I went to their website to see how much you would have to add to get an 87 to a 91 and found this to be an odd statement coming from their company.

http://www.goldeagle...duct=104+&ID=63

I do know that typically it requires a lot more Octane Booster than most people think if you read the labels properly.

• BajaFool

Posted October 15, 2008 - 10:09 AM

Regalman,
This comes under the heading of "Facts are stubborn things."

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 15, 2008 - 11:13 AM

I would also say it falls under the CYA category (Cover Your A$$).

• Regalman

Posted October 15, 2008 - 11:17 AM

Yip, I agree... I tried to find instructions but came up short. I know there was something about the amount to use to gain a 'point' and they made it sound like a 'point' was a full octane, but it was really like 1/10 of an octane or something stupid.

My point, if you use it... read the bottle carefully so you add the correct amount.

• SUnruh

Posted October 15, 2008 - 11:22 AM

adding oil (2strk) will LOWER the octane.

• tweav

Posted October 15, 2008 - 07:31 PM

I think the ratio is about 1 oz per gallon for a for like a 5 -7 point gain . I think the main reason they suggest always useing the rate grade of gas ,is because they do not want the lawers to jump them .

• Regalman

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:33 AM

I think the ratio is about 1 oz per gallon for a for like a 5 -7 point gain

Yes, I did some more looking and I am correct. If you had 87 octane fuel and you used their product as labeled to raise the fuel '7 points' it would now be 87.7 octane, not 94 octane.

Read the label carefully.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted October 16, 2008 - 10:50 AM

Yes, I did some more looking and I am correct. If you had 87 octane fuel and you used their product as labeled to raise the fuel '7 points' it would now be 87.7 octane, not 94 octane.

Read the label carefully.

Yep, i heard that too. The 104+ and other brands of octane boost don't actually do much. Just another snake oil product. :D

• tweav

Posted October 17, 2008 - 01:48 AM

I think the real arguement here should be ,If the stuff will stop your bike from detanating . and the answer is Yes .We do not really need octane we are just trying to slow down the rate that the fuel burns .Octane replaced Lead . But so will anything that slows down the rate that the gas burns like kerosene, motor oil, two stroke Oil , diesel fuel , sea foam , Wd-40 , slick 50 whatever. you just don't want too much of any of it . this will kill your plug

• justbackitin

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:11 PM

I think the real arguement here should be ,If the stuff will stop your bike from detanating . and the answer is Yes .We do not really need octane we are just trying to slow down the rate that the fuel burns .Octane replaced Lead . But so will anything that slows down the rate that the gas burns like kerosene, motor oil, two stroke Oil , diesel fuel , sea foam , Wd-40 , slick 50 whatever. you just don't want too much of any of it . this will kill your plug

Where did you hear that? I have read from 2 stroke tuning books that the octane rating of gasoline is the ability of the gas to resist pre-detonation due to heat and pressure compared to pure octane (CH3(CH2)6CH3). 91 octane pump gas has the same detonation resistance as a 91% solution of octane. 2 stroke oil actually lowers the octane rating of your fuel.

Ive run my 450 on 87 a few times with no problems. I wouldn't really worry about it. If your really paranoid just run a bit of automotive octane booster in the fuel.

• tweav

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Where did you hear that? I have read from 2 stroke tuning books that the octane rating of gasoline is the ability of the gas to resist pre-detonation due to heat and pressure compared to pure octane (CH3(CH2)6CH3). 91 octane pump gas has the same detonation resistance as a 91% solution of octane. 2 stroke oil actually lowers the octane rating of your fuel.

Ive run my 450 on 87 a few times with no problems. I wouldn't really worry about it. If your really paranoid just run a bit of automotive octane booster in the fuel.

did you read the whole thread? because your saying the same thing I did.

• justbackitin

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:21 PM

did you read the whole thread? because your saying the same thing I did.

Yea I read the whole thread. I agree with everything you said except that octane replaced lead, and your list of supposed octane boosters. Just trying to clarify things a little.

• squid

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:28 PM

you can use tolulene to raise the octane leval of gas and you can buy it at paint stores. It is used to clean brushes or thin paint, I use to use it all the time in the gas tank of my Grand National worked like a charm.

• tribalbc

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:32 PM

you can use tolulene to raise the octane leval of gas and you can buy it at paint stores. It is used to clean brushes or thin paint, I use to use it all the time in the gas tank of my Grand National worked like a charm.

What kind of ratio's would you use ?

• squid

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:42 PM

i was mixing two gallons of it to 3 gallons of gas . would end up with a octane of over 100 worked real well .

• cameronarrow

Posted October 17, 2008 - 09:40 PM

From all the boosters I have seen, I would have to carry too much of anything but lead, and I can't find that here. I thought unplugging the TPS and putting the Timing map in failsafe minimum advance mode might help, but pre-ignition is caused by heat and pressure igniting the charge before the spark, so that would not help. What conditions contribute to pre-ignition ?, I will try to avoid them

• tweav

Posted October 18, 2008 - 04:41 AM

Yea I read the whole thread. I agree with everything you said except that octane replaced lead, and your list of supposed octane boosters. Just trying to clarify things a little.

Octane was not in gas in the 1960's not until the they came up with unleaded gas as per the EPA's request for a feal that was not as toxic . Back then you just had High test and low test at the pump and they were talking about the lead count . What the point I'm trying to make here is it does not matter what your final octane count is as long as the bike is not detonating . All you need to carry is like 1 oz per gallon of 104 , oil , or any of the othe stuff I already said . All you need to do is make your gas burn slower ...... there are side effects of running oil or diesel like smoke.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.