Choke button glitch

4 replies to this topic
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted June 24, 2002 - 10:08 AM

Help,
The choke on my 99 YZ400 wont stay out. It will stay out for a sec, but as soon as the bike lights up it snaps shut. My buddy's 98 wr400 does the same thing only his wont stay out at all. Is it just the choke shaft or is there some thing else that is causing this.
I saw that the choke assy is only like $15 but I dont know if this is the problem. Any ideas?

Also what is the best bar mounted hot start unit. My stock one took a poop. If I am replacing it I might as well upgrade it.

• edareus

Posted June 24, 2002 - 10:24 AM

yzman,

I have a 99 YZ and although I haven't looked at this one, the choke on some of my two strokes have done this. There are four plastic fingers that drop into a slot in the shaft. Take the choke off and wrap the smallest zip-ty you can find around those fingers. I did this mod on my KX 250 two years ago and when I sold it, it still was working great. I also did this mod on a buddys 2000 ktm. Try it, it may work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted June 24, 2002 - 10:47 AM

What plastic fingers ya talkin about? I was just lookin at the choke assy on the net and I dont see any fingers

click here for choke picture

Its Item #35 on the diagram

[ June 24, 2002: Message edited by: yzman400 ]

• edareus

Posted June 24, 2002 - 11:33 AM

Yzman, look under the rubber boot on yours. Like I said I haven't had mine off but the two smokes have them. Look under the boot and see if they are the same. Hope this helps. I wasn't sure. I haven't had mine off and I am at work so I don't have it in front of me. I looked at the parts diagram and they don't show it there. They do show the whole assembly though. Good luck.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 24, 2002 - 06:45 PM

I took mine off after drowning the whole bike is a clay slurry (long story) and the clay got in both the hot start and choke buttons and froze them. I pulled them out, clean them off with carb cleaner, and put them back in. They would not stay out until they were firmly finger tight. As I wrenched (lightly) on them, the 'snap' to stay in was more pronounced.

Tighten it up, 14mm open end on mine.

Good luck,
mwc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.