Clutch Slipping with some noise 426

4 replies to this topic
  • boardmxyo

Posted October 13, 2008 - 10:47 AM

I raced the Wild Horse national enduro yesterday when i noticed a sound (kinda like a chain slipping around a sprocket) only when the terrain was extremely technical and i was feathering the clutch a lot in first gear with a lot of gas. Wide open it seemed fine and i didnt notice any slipping or noise in any gear. It is not the chain and sprockets because they were brand new and the slack adjusted correctly. I can only think it is the clutch because i have never changed it before. I thought that you would only feel the clutch slip and not hear any noises when the clutch is fried. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh ya is a 2000 YZ426.

• boardmxyo

Posted October 13, 2008 - 10:49 AM

Also i feel the power slip when the noise happens.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boardmxyo

Posted October 15, 2008 - 10:20 AM

Well, I was wrong. Under further investigation, it seems that my drive chain is making the noise, but it is because the clutch engagement is a "chattery" one. I have never felt this before and i have owned the bike for over 5 years, im the second owner and i have never replaced the clutch. I think this is normal from some of the other posts i have read on here about the 2000 model. Might be worth it doing the 01 clutch mod. Thanks for all your input and help everyone. (ya right)

• BRY_426F_

Posted October 15, 2008 - 04:08 PM

I just had to rebuild my 426FM its prety tits now. What was originally wrong was i heard a little random chatter that sounded like my clutch basket was going out. i also thought it could have been a valve, or possibly my cam chain.. what it actually turned out to be was a drive gear. about 3 teeth (a piece of pie i call it) broke off and was chattering around in my case. It still ran fine, but i knew something was wrong... if you want to see a pic of the broken gear let me know ill go dig it out

• BRY_426F_

Posted October 15, 2008 - 04:10 PM

i also had broken 2 teeth off of the crank on the right side. that wasnt cheap. as i couldnt find an aftermarket one. i had to go oem.. 450 dollars. at the time i worked at a kawasaki dealer. i got a deal cost=20% from a sister yamaha dealer

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.