Has this ever happened to you?

6 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:00 PM

So, after putting in a fresh air filter I was doing a quick check of my bike since I have ridden it a number of times without a washing and I wanted to make sure everything was tight. Low and behold I see the main bolt that holds the subframe to the frame is not there. I was puzzled because there was no bolt but I wasn't seeing any light through the hole. I grabbed a flashlight (ya, it is almost 9pm on a Sunday night) and I see the threaded portion of the bolt is still threaded in the subframe but the rest of the bolt is gone! I don't know how long it has been like that but I guess I shouldn't ride it until I fix it...

Has this happen to anyone else? I did mod the bike to fit the plastic of an '03-'05 450 which included a subframe from a newer bike but I can't think of anything in the mod that would cause extra stress on that bolt.

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hasn't happened to me, but I have heard of it.

To remove it, drill from the threaded side with a small drill, say 3/32", and drill in about 3/8". Then, take a very sharp 1/4" drill and try to get the drill to "bite" and snag in the pilot hole. This may, if it works, run the threaded part back out the way it came in.

If that doesn't work, and some of the bolt shank is still sticking out of the threaded fitting and into the frame, unbolt the rest of the sub and spread the top open enough to grip the bolt with a pair of pliers to unscrew it.

• e30M3

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:26 PM

If that doesn't work, and some of the bolt shank is still sticking out of the threaded fitting and into the frame, unbolt the rest of the sub and spread the top open enough to grip the bolt with a pair of pliers to unscrew it.

Gray, you're awesome, Thanks. While it never seems to work very well I have a little tool that is made specifically for removing broken bolts and screws. If that doesn't work I probably would have done a lot of cursing before I would have thought of unbolting the rest of the subframe... Amazing how some of the best solutions are the simplest...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mazzuca21366

Posted October 13, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Be very careful with any kind of extractors. If the extractor breakes off in the hole you drilled, partys over. I use Snap -On products at my shop and their stuff is hardened. Cant be drilled out.

• e30M3

Posted October 13, 2008 - 09:09 AM

Ya, the extractor I have is Craftsman and while I like their tools the extractor never worked very good. I took Gray's suggestions and pulled the subframe off and used pliers. The bolt unscrewed really easily. I didn't really want to unbolt the subframe but I am glad I did, saved me a lot of potential headache.

I am still a little concerned what caused it to break, I don't really ride that hard. I guess no harm no foul...

• WB450

Posted October 13, 2008 - 06:30 PM

FYI, a clean bike is a happy bike, good luck with the screw.

• e30M3

Posted October 13, 2008 - 07:25 PM

FYI, a clean bike is a happy bike, good luck with the screw.

Yes, agreed, but you shouldn't wash her unless she is sticky and muddy. Sometimes continual washing can cash more harm than a little dirt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.