Bent Rim. How bent is too bent? Pic

11 replies to this topic
  • broccoli2

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:18 PM

So I bent my 08 WR450 front rim today and was wondering what all your opinions are?
I ride trails and desert
I never even slowed down and road it the rest of the day. I knew I hit it pretty hard but didn't think I bent it and didn't check until I got home. This dent is only on one side of the rim..
What do you all think?
Do I need a new rim?
Can it be bent back good enough?

Posted Image

• 2smokeforlife

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:22 PM

wouldnt try to bent it back will prob be fine untill u get a new rim, i rode my yz will 2 dings in it for a year almost and it was fine just keep checkin the spokes to see if they are tight

• brad the best

Posted October 11, 2008 - 10:45 PM

thats fine i had one like that , i just beat the crap out of it with a 3lbs hammer . it went away .

• DeeCee

Posted October 12, 2008 - 12:25 AM

Is your tyre running true when you spin the wheel ?

If it is not too far out it is probably OK not to worry about it.

You may be able to adjust the true by changing the spoke tension.

• drumurr

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:00 AM

smack it with a rubber mallet

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:46 AM

smack it with a rubber mallet

HARD! A few times and you'll be good to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bfogelma

Posted October 12, 2008 - 07:28 AM

hell as long as its not causing repeating flat tires right?

• timoyz1

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Good luck pounding it back. If you have access to a press, that would be easier, if not, ride it like you stole it.:D

• Fullbore4

Posted October 12, 2008 - 10:21 AM

I used a wood piece and sledge take out dents ....the wood doesn't mark they say don't force it, just get a bigger hammer:banana:

• broccoli2

Posted October 12, 2008 - 11:11 AM

Good luck pounding it back. If you have access to a press, that would be easier, if not, ride it like you stole it.:D

Thats what got me into this:bonk:

I road it today.. Ran like normal.. I think I'm just going to leave it alone..

Thanks for the advice

• WR_Dave

Posted October 12, 2008 - 11:16 AM

I tried to straighten one out a few years ago and had it almost back when I heard a sickening crack and completely broke the rim right across it's width. If the wheel is still true and your not flatting the tire I would just keep riding. My .02 -- WR Dave.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 12, 2008 - 12:17 PM

X2 on the press. i had a rim like that and took it to my mechanic who has a press. It came out really straight. My mechanic said don't try to pound it out for fear of making it weaker.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.