Build a Backyard Motocross Track

20 replies to this topic
  • treyjones

Posted October 11, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys, I got a new house and I'm planning on building a backyard mx track on 1-2 acre backyard property, my land is flat and I got a bunch of room, what are some good layouts, and how much could i get some dirt for to build and shape the jumps out with, I want something small like arenacross or a track like on wife swap like starling has, something like that.

• TheSauce

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Its your track, you should do what you like!! Just mix it up dont make all 180 and 90 degree turns, mix it up :D
For ideas on certain things you should visit local tracks and try to incorperate it.

• dirt_momma

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:51 PM

if you are 14 like your profile says, i'd ask your parents first before you start ripping up their yard.

• BSR-1

Posted October 11, 2008 - 09:53 PM

if you are 14 like your profile says, i'd ask your parents first before you start ripping up their yard.

:D

• NitroDave

Posted October 12, 2008 - 04:46 AM

:worthy:

As far a dirt...get with your local builders and construction comapanys.( concrete and asphalt pavers) let them know you have a dump site for FREE CLEAN fill dirt. :D

• Salsa

Posted October 12, 2008 - 07:50 AM

You can make it twice as much fun if you ride it in both directions (not at the same time).

Don

• Zadok

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:11 AM

Sounds cool. My, almost 12 year old, twin sons and I are
going to be building a track this year. We are moving out
on about 3 acres and making our own riding area.

Not sure my layout yet either. But either way it will be fun.

• serv

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:42 AM

The cheapest way to get some dirt is onsite. Rent a small track loader and build a pond. If you need more dirt, just make the pond bigger. :D

http://frylake.com/w...epair-small.bmp

• BSR-1

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:45 AM

The cheapest way to get some dirt is onsite. Rent a small track loader and build a pond. If you need more dirt, just make the pond bigger. :D

very good Idea! :worthy:

• Zadok

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:58 AM

The cheapest way to get some dirt is onsite. Rent a small track loader and build a pond. If you need more dirt, just make the pond bigger.

Great idea.....EXCEPT, I will only have 3 acres, and
I dont want to loose part of it to a pond. Good idea
though. :D .....wish I had about 10 acres, but 3 will work.

Luckily, years ago, I ran heavy equipment for a living.
In fact, I ran a John Deere 690 Trackhoe, a JD 850
Wide Track Dozer, and a JD Backhoe. I was thinking
of just renting a tracked bobcat. What do you think?
Will that be pretty good for making a track? Building
a track is something I have never done. So this ought
to be interesting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • serv

Posted October 12, 2008 - 09:07 AM

make the pond in the middle of the track? :D

Come on man, water is life. Throw some fish in there and let animals take a drink.

850's are sweet. I own a 750C. I would've suggested a dozer but the track loader can haul the scoops of dirt around and dump them wherever.

The tracked bobcats will definitely do it. I would imagine they would take more $time$ since they have a smaller bucket.

Whichever way you guys do it, I guarantee you will have a blast just building the track.

• Coadster68

Posted October 12, 2008 - 09:08 AM

Bobcats are great. On tracks or on wheels, its the only thing i needed when i built my track. I got the dirt from whoever, i let the construction companies know i was taking free clean dirt. I posted a sign in my yard that morning saying where to put it, I came home at 8 that night, to find MOUNDS of nice clean dirt had been delivered. It was perfect! Good luck with the track, its really not that hard to build once you get going.

• motomanmike26

Posted October 12, 2008 - 09:11 AM

think about all the things MX tracks have. go look at some. search them online. step ups, step downs, doubles, triples, quads, tables, burms. lots of different things you can make. heres a video of my track. it shows some of the features i have but not all of them. my track was built with no burms, just natural ruts an things.

http://vids.myspace....ideoid=39587811

as far as dirt goes. drop the bucket of the dozer an inch or 2 into the ground an just push. you can get a ton of dirt this way an you do not need to pay. do not put the bucket too deep because you will have puddles when it rains, an since you said your land is flat there is no way for drainidge. an inch or 2 will be fine.

• treyjones

Posted October 12, 2008 - 10:15 AM

think about all the things MX tracks have. go look at some. search them online. step ups, step downs, doubles, triples, quads, tables, burms. lots of different things you can make. heres a video of my track. it shows some of the features i have but not all of them. my track was built with no burms, just natural ruts an things.

as far as dirt goes. drop the bucket of the dozer an inch or 2 into the ground an just push. you can get a ton of dirt this way an you do not need to pay. do not put the bucket too deep because you will have puddles when it rains, an since you said your land is flat there is no way for drainidge. an inch or 2 will be fine.

thanks alot, nice track btw:thumbsup: :D :worthy:

• Zadok

Posted October 12, 2008 - 10:20 AM

make the pond in the middle of the track? :D

Come on man, water is life. Throw some fish in there and let animals take a drink.

850's are sweet. I own a 750C. I would've suggested a dozer but the track loader can haul the scoops of dirt around and dump them wherever.

The tracked bobcats will definitely do it. I would imagine they would take more $time$ since they have a smaller bucket.

Whichever way you guys do it, I guarantee you will have a blast just building the track.

Thats true with the water and animals.....I actually have 3 black Lab Retrievers, Id bet they would love a small pond.

Hmmmmm........now you got me thinking. Maybe a small one. Then I could mix up the roughness of an MX track with
a park like setting with a pond and gazebo.

• BSR-1

Posted October 12, 2008 - 02:38 PM

I talkin' build a jump over the pond! :worthy: :D

• yzkid_85

Posted October 12, 2008 - 05:28 PM

your track looks so sick

• ACree

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I talkin' build a jump over the pond! :worthy: :D

That works pretty well if you build doubles up by taking the dirt from between them. I used to have a few jumps like that, the gaps would fill with water in the winter (oregon, lots of rain) and take forever to dry up. No prob though if you jump them.

• Zadok

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:27 PM

That works pretty well if you build doubles up by taking the dirt from between them. I used to have a few jumps like that, the gaps would fill with water in the winter (oregon, lots of rain) and take forever to dry up. No prob though if you jump them.

No good though since I have my 11 year old twin boys and
my small 6 year old nephew who will also be riding.
Trust me, my autistic son would not like having to
deal with a pond in the middle of the track.

• motomanmike26

Posted October 12, 2008 - 07:18 PM

No good though since I have my 11 year old twin boys and
my small 6 year old nephew who will also be riding.
Trust me, my autistic son would not like having to
deal with a pond in the middle of the track.

that is exactly why you just drop the bucket an inch or two. it does not fill with water, an it does not make a deep hole at all.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 690 Enduro R 2014 by KennTM

KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by KennTM
  • On December 16, 2014
Forums
Photo

Free play rear linkage by Rooster72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

New 2015 CRF 450 Opinions by mstngmatt

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  102 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Exhaust install 2012 CRF250R by Nate6283

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 16 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.