clavicle repair or replacement

7 replies to this topic
  • Moon208

Posted October 11, 2008 - 05:28 PM

I have a bump on my clavicle very close to the end where the clavicle connects to the chest. My doctor sent me for a bone scan, CAT scan, X-Ray and PET scan. Based on the results of the PET scan he said it was cancer. He wants to remove my whole clavicle and when I asked if there was a way to cut off just the part with the tumor and somehow repair the rest of it he said no.

I've searched online and have seen many treatments for broken clavicles and was wondering if any of these methods could be used in my case. Is there any way to simply cut off the tumor and keep the rest of my clavicle with some type of repair or replacement?

• DrMark

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:00 PM

I always thought that biopsy was the gold standard for diagnosiing cancer?

• Moon208

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:27 PM

That's what i thought as well. My doctor wants to meet with me next week. Him and a plastic surgeon are going to explain to me how the operation to remove my clavicle will go. At that time I will ask for a biopsy. I was also hoping to discuss with him alternatives to removing my entire clavical. That is why I have been looking all over the net for other options.

• DrMark

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:36 PM

The biopsy should be done first. The microscopic slides reviewed by several pathologists, a decision on the diagnosis made, then a treatment plan.

It can all occur over a couple of days. If its cancer, it can still wait untill everyone agrees on the slides.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moon208

Posted October 15, 2008 - 09:06 AM

So I spoke to my doctor today. By the way he's a thoracic surgeon. He doesn't want to do a biopsy because he feels he has enough tests results to confirm the cancer and that every day I delay the operation increases the chances of the cancer spreading.

I then asked him to refer me to an oncologist for a 2nd opinion which he did. Tomorrow morning I'm meeting with an oncologist at the same hospital so he will have access to my complete medical history including all the tests done so far. I will ask the oncologist for the biopsy.

My main reason for posting on this board though is for advice on the removal of the clavicle. If there is no choice I'm prepared to have it completely removed but I don't want to make the wrong decision if there is a chance to repair or replace it. My doctor explained that reconstruction or replacement with a prosthesis would only be for aesthetics not function.

He says that the muscles and tendons couldn't/wouldn't be attached to a prosthesis and if they were they would not function anyway. Is this true? If I'm losing functionality then I don't care about getting a prosthesis or losing my clavicle. I just need to know if there is some sort of repair that can be done to retain muscle functionality.

The 2 most promising links I found are the following:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1325572
http://www.ellisdev.co.uk/clavicul.htm

Are either one of these options realistic? Do I need to get an orthopedic surgeon to perform the operation rather then a thoracic surgeon? I've got the cancer part covered with the oncologist tomorrow. Any advice about the clavicle and muscle functionality would be welcome and really appreciated.

• DrMark

Posted October 15, 2008 - 10:28 AM

what cancer are you dealing with?

• Moon208

Posted October 15, 2008 - 11:48 AM

My doctor says it's a radiation induced sarcoma of the clavicle. When I was 22 which is 18 years ago(I'm 40 now), I had 6 weeks of radiation therapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Everything has been fine since until now of course.

I'm a very healthy 40 year old. I jog daily and do push-ups and crunches. I've been active all my life. I don't smoke or drink either and I eat a well balanced diet. I'm NOT a fast food kind of guy.

• DrMark

Posted October 15, 2008 - 11:52 AM

You need to have that cut out asap. Down the road, you can consider what way to do the reconstruction is necessary.

First save your life.
Next, worry about return to sports.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

how much weight can your LRP lose? by jeffjcalweb

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.