Any other vertically challenged Husky riders out there

31 replies to this topic
  • Norman_Foley

Posted October 12, 2008 - 07:26 AM

I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam. I've had three Huskys lowered now.... '00 WR250, '01 TE400 and '02 WR125. I rode the '00 for about 4 years before I had it lowered 1.5" and re-valved by A.C.E. Suspension, what a difference, as I ride a lot of off camber. I bought the other two bikes used and did them right away. My next Husky('09 WR125) I'm going to try just 1" lowering.
Norman

• meijerclassics

Posted October 12, 2008 - 12:14 PM

I am another vertically challenged rider (31" inseam, I think). I just picked up my 08 610, and am still getting the feel for it. I almost dropped it yesterday, but managed to save the bike, and tweak my back.
I emailed Kouba link to see if they make one for the 610, and no luck there. They said:
"We do not have a lowering link for any of the Husqvarna 610's as the bottom of the spring hits the swingarm tunnel when the links are made longer. Believe it would take a rocker and link combination to get the job done and have not heard of anyone making those yet. Thanks for your inquiry and sorry we are not of help.
Norm"
Is my only option to take the bike to a suspension shop?

• Norman_Foley

Posted October 12, 2008 - 01:07 PM

I am another vertically challenged rider (31" inseam, I think). I just picked up my 08 610, and am still getting the feel for it. I almost dropped it yesterday, but managed to save the bike, and tweak my back.
I emailed Kouba link to see if they make one for the 610, and no luck there. They said:
"We do not have a lowering link for any of the Husqvarna 610's as the bottom of the spring hits the swingarm tunnel when the links are made longer. Believe it would take a rocker and link combination to get the job done and have not heard of anyone making those yet. Thanks for your inquiry and sorry we are not of help.
Norm"

My TE400 was same frame and rear shock set up as the TE610. You could try the old... slide the forks up, and extra sag method, but good suspension shop is best. I never had to do anything to my previous generation '03 TE610E DS bike as they have a much lower seat height than '06 on TE610.
Norman

• Jellyrug

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Norm"

Meijer,

The 610 is not easy, if you are vertically challenged, specially if you do single track and you have to get on and off the bike without using the stand. It's easy on a 250, but the 610 is heavy and carries it's weight high. I learnt this the hard way on my second ride.

I work overseas and come home for short two week breaks, so I did not have the luxury of taking out my suspension sending it away, no time and wanted to ride.

So, I took my riding boots to a shoemaker and he added two inches to the soles, with a little lip on the left toe sole to change gears. I know it sounds crazy, but this works so well, I don't know if I will ever bother fiddling with my suspension now.

Oh yes and Man, I have to tell ya, life feels totally different when you are 2" taller :-)

• ramz

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:50 PM

Lowering an '08 TE610: Fork mods :D :worthy:

• huskyfrk

Posted October 13, 2008 - 02:41 AM

hey norman, with a seat height of 37 on my SMR 450 and about the same for my tc 250, and a inseam of 27, where do i get the other 8 " ?? subframe 15mm approx, seat 25 mm approx?? lots of sag, still about 7"' short.. I think I will get a husky senior 50 next year !!! :ride: :ride: :ride: :D :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Norman_Foley

Posted October 13, 2008 - 04:14 AM

hey norman, with a seat height of 37 on my SMR 450 and about the same for my tc 250, and a inseam of 27, where do i get the other 8 " ?? subframe 15mm approx, seat 25 mm approx?? lots of sag, still about 7"' short.. I think I will get a husky senior 50 next year !!! :ride: :ride: :ride: :worthy: :ride:

When your ready, I know where there is a brand new Husky Senior 50 on a dealer's showroom floor!:D :ride:

• ryboj

Posted October 13, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Just reporting in....

5'9.5" w/ a meager 30" inseam.

Tallest I've ridden is a 06TC450 and my current 00TE410.

The 00410, I'm going to have the seat corrected to help offset the inch or so I need on that one.

:D

But watching the thread carefully for other proven suggestions.....

• NiceUserName

Posted October 13, 2008 - 12:38 PM

I've been watching this thread carefully too, if for no other reason than misery loves company!:D

• justplayin

Posted October 14, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Just chimin' in too. 5'7" 30" inseam 07 TE450. Dropped (or pulled up) the fronk forks little passed the second line. I did this to make it steer better (which it did:banana: ) Set the sag to specs. I have done nothing else to adjust the height of the bike. I just do the "side seat" sit when stopped. I fall over sometimes when caught leaning towards the "low" side........no matter, I've been falling over for years and have gotten quite good at it:lol:

• NumberCruncher

Posted October 14, 2008 - 06:05 AM

I second cutting your seat foam down. It is pretty easy and drops the bike a full inch without hurting handling in any way.

Posted Image

Greg

• Yamahondaha

Posted October 14, 2008 - 07:52 AM

I did the Koubalink and it works great, no more tip toe. The suspension is still sweet and have no regrets. Look into it, there are two sizes to choose from, I went with the 1".

Gary

Did you have to grind your swingarm to clear your shock?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Jap Suspension? by 975

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husqvarna   Husqvarna 4-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Husky Auto Trans Mod - last post by Rowant

Husky Auto Trans Mod

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

INTERVIEW: Jon-Erik Burleson on KTM-Husqvarna future by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husqvarna   Husqvarna 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Husqvarna CR500 1985 by C-R-M

Husqvarna CR500 1985
  • 1 review
  • Last review by C-R-M
  • On November 13, 2014
Forums
Photo

Husqvarna TC 250 2013 stack by bago

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  34 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.